Change in the breathing rate algorithm?

Hello - tonight we received the update to the new auto-detect feature for breathing wear. We're excited about the feature... but it's also coincided with a large increase in my daughter's breathing rate.

Background: Typically her breaths per minute hover between 19-24 breaths per minute (when she is healthy), and it's only when she's very feverish that it climbs above 30+ BPM. W

Tonight - we turned on this new feature and instantly her breathing rate is at 33-34 breaths per minute. We know that it's possible that the historical breathing rate could have been low, but also has remained very very consistent over the past 12 months.

It's odd that the first night a new feature is rolled out, we're seeing a very different BPM than before, so I'm not sure if I should trust the reading or not. Is anyone else experiencing the same pattern?

Answers

• NanitMackenzie
    NanitMackenzie Community Moderator, Nanit Team

Hi @tannertegtmeyer - thank you for taking the time to reach out to the community. I'm happy to hear that the auto detect feature is something you're excited about!

I confirmed with our product team that the Breathing Motion Monitoring algorithm has not changed with this new auto detect feature. The only thing that's different is the process for starting a new session, but once the session has begun the monitoring remains the same.

If you're concerned about the sudden change, I'd be happy to have a member of our support team reach out to take a look at your setup to make sure everything looks good. Let me know!

• We are also experiencing this. She had a fever last night and it was around 40 bpm which is super high for her. Typical is 25-30 when healthy. We were able to bring her fever down but her breaths are still high. Trying to figure out next steps or review breathing rate history but it doesn’t seem to be available.

• NanitMackenzie
    NanitMackenzie Community Moderator, Nanit Team

Hi @Kmartin730_, thank you for posting here! Unfortunately it's not currently possible to review breathing rate history in the Nanit app. If you are concerned about your little one's breathing rate we would recommend discussing it with your pediatrician. I hope she is feeling better soon!