False red alerts with breathing bands

We have been using breathing wear with our now 10-week-old son from the start. The swaddle has worked really well for us but our pedi has recommended to stop swaddling now. The problem is, for some reason we get false red alerts with breathing bands pretty much every night we try to use them. It is very frustrating especially since they wake up everyone in the house. We are using blank crib sheets. Tried the bands over long sleeve footed pj’s, over a onesie and a very light sleep sack - same thing.

Has anyone had the issue with constant false red alerts using the bands? How did you solve it? There must be something I’m doing wrong but I can’t figure out what it is.

Comments

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

Hi @Mira

We know receiving a red alert can be very stressful. Nanit will trigger a red alert when the camera is unable to detect the breathing motion. In some cases with smaller babies, we suggest bringing the camera a little closer to the baby. You can do this by safely raising the mattress or using the Multi-Stand. The link below will provide you with additional steps to help prevent red alerts. You can always report the red alert via the Nanit app and one of our team members will provide you with feedback.

https://support.nanit.com/hc/en-us/articles/360019272174-How-can-I-ensure-proper-Breathing-Motion-Monitoring-

• Mira
    Mira Member

Hi Melanie,

The baby is not that small at this point - he is almost 11 lbs / 23 inches… And as I mentioned the swaddle never had trouble detecting breathing when we used it. So I don’t think his size is the issue here.

I did report the false red alert from last night but haven’t heard from the Nanit team yet. I also reported a few of them in the past and no one ever got back to me.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@Mira I will go ahead and escalate this for you and have a member of support reach out to you to help troubleshoot further.

• LRHdad
    LRHdad Member

We also had this issue. We used the band when she was napping and swaddle at night. During the day when the lights were on the band worked great. We swaddled for a few days and it worked fine, then one night early in the evening it gave a false red alert. I made the swaddle band a bit tighter, still within the recommendation and later in the middle of the night it gave three more false alerts. I regret buying the band and three sleep sacks for different stages because I will no longer trust that they are working. The setup is according to the site recommendations as well.

im sorry you also had to experience the gut wrenching feeling of thinking there is something wrong with your baby.

• Hi @Mira

My husband and I unfortunately encountered the very same thing as others have. We had one “false” red alert with the breathing band when our daughter was three weeks old. After everyone in the house (to include our wee little babe) came back down from the soul crushing adrenaline rush we threw the band in the trash and moved to the swaddle. Much better results with the swaddle. You’re not alone in this and I know it’s something nanit has been made aware of. I will not recommend the band to anyone else and tell other nanit users to stick with the swaddle.

• We had false red alerts early on using the bands with wall mounted cameras. We switched the camera to a multi-stand with a better angle and the false alerts stopped.

• Papa
    Papa Member

Experiencing the same issue.

multiple time multiple days with the wall mount.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@Papa I'm sorry to hear you have experienced this - would you like me to have a member of our team get in touch with you? They can review in more detail and provide some suggestions to ensure breathing motion monitoring is working correctly.

• Are you using the large or small band? We went straight from the swaddle to the large band with no issues wondering if the small band just doesn’t cover enough surface area for the camera. Something for nanit to look into!