9 month sleep regression

Hi,

My daughter is 9.5 months old.

We sleep trained her at 5.5 months. She used to sleep for around 11 hours approximately throughout the night without any wakings.

For the last several weeks though, she has been waking up at 430 in the morning. We give her up to an hour to fall back to sleep but she rarely does. She cries so hard.

Sometimes I go pick her up and she falls asleep on me till around 630-7.

I think I thought her a negative sleep association. Now she wakes up constantly and doesn't fall back asleep without me.

How do I change this behavior and how can I help me sleep longer in the early morning. Atleast till 6 AM? Her bedtime is at 7 PM

Thank you

Comments

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Tiredmama This is so rough! The first thing I would do is make sure she is getting enough food to eat during the day. At this age, Id like to see her EATING three meals a day plus 3-4 milk feeds. If she is not eating enough solids this might be a reason for the early waking. If that's not the issue then you can try several things - you just leave her to work out how to get herself back to sleep at that time. That will likely take 3-4 days for her to do that. You can also try getting her back to sleep without a feed but just by soothing her or you can try staying in the room with her while she falls back to sleep. Id also suggest making sure the room is super dark! At this time of the year the sun is up pretty early and I always suggest adding back garbage bags to the windows if you see early morning wakings!

• kkc
    kkc Member

I’m in the same position as you! 4/5am wake ups and he won’t let me put him down or rock him to sleep. I’ll give him a bottle but even that won’t get him to sleep. Losing the will to live 😂