Sleep Training

I have a 15 month old who as of 12 months was sleeping through the night from 7:15-7:45 to 5:45-6:15 every day. We took away the nook at 12 months and his bottle plus went through a daylight savings and since has been waking up between 3:30am and 4:30am every day. At first the only way that both my husband and I could find to soothe him was giving him a bottle. And now we have been doing that same thing for 3 months.

Since then, I’ve tried messing with his nap times, trying to get him down to one nap a day with the occasional 20-30 minute nap in the morning as needed depending how he slept.

I’ve also messed with his starting sleep time and it doesn’t change anything.

He also eats quite a bit all day long and still gets 8 ounces of whole milk before bathtime.

I’ve tried for 5 days now to not give him any milk when he wakes up. I’ve wait about 10-15 minutes before going in. He’s still screaming/crying even though I’m trying to sing and rock and do all the things to soothe him. I put him back in his crib still crying and leave for another 10-15 minutes and repeat. I am exhausted from being up at 330 am for over an hour and end up giving him milk anyways. I know that’s not good but I am struggling.

Just asking for any recommendations to make the transition a little easier for both him and myself please!

Answers

• NanitMackenzie
    NanitMackenzie Community Moderator, Nanit Team

Hi @CandaceH1016 - I'm so sorry that you are struggling!

Our community members were talking a similar topic on this thread here. A few tips some of our parents shared:

• Putting baby down drowsy but not fully asleep so that way when they wake up in the middle of the night they remember where they are
    • Putting a few extra pacifiers in the crib (if your baby uses them) so they are able to find them and self sooth
    • Creating a consistent bedtime routine

Our sleep expert Natalie also also recently posted about moving away from nighttime feeds in this thread here. Although the question is about a 9 month old, the underlying concepts of consistency and baby's state when falling asleep at the beginning of the night still apply at other ages. (also - she linked the 9-month sleep schedule in her post - here's the 15-month schedule from the Nanit Sleep Schedule Generator if you haven't seen it already!)

Finally - Natalie previously hosted an Ask Me Anything about adjusting to daylight savings back in November that may have some helpful tips for you to try. She also will be hosting another Ask Me Anything about spring forward at the beginning of March for this upcoming daylight savings - I encourage you to join in the conversation there as well!

Would love to hear if other parents are still experiencing trouble with sleep since daylight savings and what worked (or didn't!) to get baby back on track!