Should I start my 4 month old on food? If so what should I start her with?

Laylana
Laylana Member
edited December 2021 in Growth & Milestones

Should I start my 4 month old on food? If so what should I start her with?

Answers

• Hello Laylana, i started solids at 4 months and a half. The first time i gave my daughter solid food was a mashed avocado that i puréed with some of her milk. She really liked it.

• Hi @Laylana I am planning a whole series of posts on introducing solids in the coming few weeks. However, in general there is good data to support milk as the sole source of nutrition for infants until about 6 months of age except in certain circumstances (for example, pediatricians may recommend early introduction of allergens to children who are high risk for food allergies).

• Lilian’s suggestion of avocado puréed with a little breastmilk (or formula) is great! You can also do this with banana and sweet potato as well (also great first solid options). Iron fortified baby oatmeal is another good option. I actually subscribed to Yumi and they are great for introducing baby to a large variety of flavors (starting with single ingredient purées). Speak with your pediatrician and see what they have to say too :)