Does anyone else have an issue with battery drain?

2»

Answers

• Hello,

I’m having the same issue the app is draining my battery, im not using the Breathing Motion Monitor. I only use the camera as a monitor at night.

• NanitJessica
    NanitJessica Community Moderator, Nanit Team

Hey @Flower_day,

Thanks for sharing screenshots showing that the Nanit app drains your battery. Using Breathing Motion Monitoring or running the live stream from the Nanit app in the foreground or background with background audio could potentially drain the battery as it is constantly getting updates from the camera.

We'll share your feedback with the product team to have some performance improvement for the Nanit app.

• JackieTO
    JackieTO Member

Hi all,

I'm wondering if any resolution or troubleshooting tips were provided in response to this issue/thread? I've been experiencing severe battery drain since I first started using the camera (November 2020). I actually acquired a new iPhone 12 in January 2021 and the battery drain was so excessive I visited the Apple Store thinking my new phone was defective. They quickly informed me that there was one app that was causing the battery drain issue: Nanit and that nothing was wrong with the battery itself.

It's really frustrating as I'm constantly having my phone battery die throughout the day, and I must have it plugged in overnight. I really enjoy the baby monitor, but this is a huge downside of the camera that I do tell people about when they ask how I like the Nanit system.

I've made sure the Breathing Motion Monitoring is disabled, but I don't think that was ever really a factor, as we never had the breathing bands in the crib (my baby quickly outgrew them).

Attached is a recent (and very common) graph of the battery usage by the Nanit app on my phone (ugh).

Appreciative of any other tricks to try. Thanks.

• NanitJessica
    NanitJessica Community Moderator, Nanit Team

Hi @JackieTO,

Thanks for sharing your concern and providing extra details including a screenshot. Using Breathing Motion Monitoring or running the live stream from the Nanit app in the foreground or background (including background audio) could potentially drain the battery as it is constantly getting updates from the camera.

We'll share your feedback with the product team to have some performance improvement for the Nanit app.

• etwoc
    etwoc Member

Adding that I have also been experiencing significant battery drain issues lately with my iPhone 13 Pro. To the point where, even with my phone plugged in (as you can see from the screenshot), the battery was drained to around 20% overnight. Nothing like unplugging your phone and immediately being promoted to turn on low power mode!

No breathing monitoring being done - just using the app and background audio at night for monitoring purposes. You know, like a monitoring camera and app should be used.

To me, that’s the issue here: none of the responses from the Nanit team so far seem to be treating this issue like the product flaw that it is. All of us posters are not asking for a “nice to have” feature update - for us this fix is a “need to have”, especially if even keeping a phone plugged in and charging can’t counteract the battery drain from your app.

What are your product team’s concrete plans to address this flaw? When can we expect a resolution to the battery drain flaw to be delivered by them? What additional adjustments or tweaks do they recommend users make in the meantime while your dev/engineering team are still working on delivering a fix? Hearing that our “feedback” is being passed along isn’t a sufficient follow-up at this point so please help us understand what Nanit’s plans are 7+ months after the original poster raised this issue up.

• Frankie
    Frankie Member

A few people have asked if anythinghas happened since this post, (sorry, I just saw all this and have been meaning to respond). To answer your question... no. As far as i can tell, nothing has been done. There has really been no change. One issue is that IT'S. ALWAYS. ON. Always... Even when you force close. Eventually, I'll either hear sound or look down and it's on again. In fact, there are two notifications. One swing a sound was heard and one saying its running. But there's no way to shut the app off when not in use. I understand the app being in heavy use when it's actively tracking breathing. But even when you turn that feature off, batter just dumps. We've just adapted to actively checking and turning force closing constantly throughout the day and charging our phones multiple times a day. It's not ideal and it's taking a heavy toll on our phones.

*end rant*