How can I get my 3mo old to sleep longer than 30 minutes during the day?

Silliam21
Silliam21 Member
edited March 22 in Sleep Training

He does okay at night… he won’t sleep longer than 30-45minutes during the day…

at night he goes down for 8-830, sleeps til 2ish, up again at 6:30 then up for 8:30…

during the day he wont sleep longer than 30minutes so im constantly just putting him down… hoping to fix this :(

Comments

• Perhaps give him more stimulation during the day to tire him/her out more. Read some books, walk around. Maybe stimulate for 45 minutes to start off and then see how long he sleeps.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Silliam21 Its REALLY normal for 3 month olds to sleep 30-45 minutes at a time, in fact, its great! The longer naps will likely come in a few months, but honestly, a lot of babies don't do more that 30-45 minutes at this age and it may not be something you can change for now.

I'd focus on the fact that the night is amazing! The naps will come!

• I know people say it’s normal for them to have short naps at this age…but I believe you can train them to take longer naps which is better for everyone. I follow Takin Cara Babies on Insta & follow her advice: nap time routine, super dark room, white noise. My oldest was an awful sleeper and I nap trained him kinda the same way we did nighttime sleep training per the advice of a sleep consultant we hired. I’d let him cry for a bit, go in & soothe, let him cry more if he cried ect going in at increasing intervals to soothe. I’d leave him in the crib until nap time was over (so 1-1.5 hours) even if I had to go in there a ton of times. It worked, and within less than a couple weeks he was taking naps like a dream without any tears. He’s been a champ napper ever since. My youngest is 6w and she’s an angel & naps like a dream but if she didn’t (or if things change in the future) I’ll do the same thing I did with my oldest