"Ask Me Anything" about Nanit with Senior Product Manager Tali Gueta!

Melanie
Melanie Nanit Team

Do you have questions about our app, breathing motion monitoring, or how you can watch your baby grow with Nanit Smart Sheets?  Now is your chance to ask us anything! Join our Senior Product Manager, Tali Gueta, and ask her anything about Nanit! 

Tali joined Nanit 4 years ago as the first Product Manager in the company and is currently a Senior Product Manager, managing the development of the Nanit mobile app. Tali has been a product manager for over 7 years, she has a B.A. in Interactive Communications and she specializes in human-computer interaction and user experience design. Prior to Nanit Tali worked as a Product Manager at codeMonkey.com, a platform that teaches kids to code via a fun and interactive game.

Tali is answering questions in the community, Monday, August 9th through Thursday, August 12th. Don’t miss out and get your questions answered! 

Comments

• Hi! I've been looking at Amazon reviews and see so many recent negative reviews (pretty much all of them) about the app failing. I get that a small minority having issues can be vocal, but it is pretty a bit unnerving spending so much money on something that may end up causing more stress than help.

• DADBOD
    DADBOD Member

We have two children now and are wondering when the app will support split screen/multi camera viewing. Seems like a reasonable thing to have for the amount we’ve spent on monitors and insights subscriptions. 👨‍👩‍👧‍👧

• we are using the portable nanit stand cam above a bassinet in our room until baby is ready for crib. My welcome screen on the app usually just says “good evening mom” and other times it says “the crib was last attended 5 minutes ago”. Tonight, my app still said “good evening mom” while my husband right next to me had “the crib was last attended 5 minutes ago”. Why won’t my welcome screen show more insights?

• Any plans for Google Home integration? I have a few nest hubs I would LOVE to be able to use as a monitor. Would you be able to share a rough roadmap for future features?

• Tali
    Tali Member, Nanit Product Team

Hi @DADBOD , thanks for posting this question, definitely a very important feature request that we have heard from our customers and it is on our radar.

Until we have something official you can use a tablet or an Alexa Show as a monitoring device as well, so a combination of your phone and a tablet will allow you to monitor multiple babies at the same time.

• Tali

Hi @SleeplessinSeattle , what a great nickname 😂

From your question I'm not sure if you are using a Floor stand or a Multi stand, so I'm going to try and reference both options.

If you are using the Nanit camera on a Multi-stand then you are probably not seeing Sleep analytics. This is because to generate our Insights analytics we need to have a birds-eye-view of the baby's crib/bassinet and the Multi-stand usually doesn't offer this kind of a view. That's why you won't see in your app "my bed was attended X minutes ago" or "I fell asleep X minutes ago".

If you're using a Floor stand, you should be able to see the recent event in your app welcoming you. Sometimes our algorithms can miss an event and not show a recent status, but it should show most of the time if your camera and crib are positioned correctly (I would refer to this article to learn more about camera positioning).

If you and your husband are seeing different messages, my question to you would be are you both using the same type of phone (iOS / Android) or each of you have a different phone? Sometimes our Android and iOS apps can behave a bit differently. The best thing to do is to reach out to our CS team and they can let my team know there's a bug that we should fix.

Hope this help! 😊

• Tali

Hi @gregholland that's a great question! We definitely want to support Google Home and we have heard this from our customers in the past. To be able to officially support Google Home we need to make some changes to the way we stream video today, which means it's a bit of a bigger project than it should be. I won't go into details but we hope to be able to support this in the future as we are aware of the amazing possibilities this can open for our customers.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

Hi @gregholland jumping in for Tali! Thanks so much for your question! I can understand that it can be concerning to see negative reviews, especially for a product like Nanit that is designed to give you peace of mind. Because Nanit does rely on a wireless connection there are times that a poor wifi connection or a particular user's setup can cause connectivity issues with the camera. 

We have outlined our best practices for resolving these types of issues in a few different support articles. You can reference them here.  

With that being said - we take all reviews seriously and are always striving to improve our product based on customer feedback so that every customer has the best experience with Nanit. Our customer support team is available to provide 1:1 troubleshooting in addition to finding support here in our community. Please feel free to let me know if you have any additional questions - and thanks again for posting here!

• Interested in purchasing but can’t find answers to a few questions:

• Are we able to use the breathing band over a normal grobag (not nanit)?
    • How much in GBP £ is the subscription after a year...only seem to be able to see dollars
  • Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team
    edited August 10

@clairem1122 Happy to help!

YES, you can use the breathing band over a grobag that is TOG 1.0 or less. A bit more information on the breathing band, in case it is helpful: The Nanit Breathing Band wraps around your baby’s torso underneath their arms, and goes right over any pajamas or light weight sleep sack they would normally sleep in. The Breathing Band is a great choice for younger babies who prefer not to swaddle, or for older babies who have outgrown their swaddle and have started to roll or sleep on their tummy.

We don't recommend that the band goes over a padded sleeping bag or sleeping bag that is very thick and heavy. Our general rule of thumb is that most 1.0 TOG sleeping bags are suitable for the breathing band to wrap around.

Nanit Insights basic is included for free with your camera for the first year, after the first year to renew the basic subscription it is £50 per year. We also have two other insights options - Insights Premium (£100/year) and Insights Unlimited (£300/year).

If you visit this page on our website, you should be able to select your location and see the price in GBP £. Hope this helps!

• clairem1122
    clairem1122 Member
    edited August 10

Thanks for clarifying. Just to also check:

• can you access the camera from out and about (e.g if mum goes out for the evening, can I check on my phone and see how she is)?
    • if you don’t recommend the band going over grobags above 1.0 tog, what do you recommend for people in the UK, where most time of the year, babies would be in a 2.5 tog grobag? Is there an alternative for colder nights??
  • Couple things before I can go ahead and buy:

• can you access the camera from out and about (e.g if mum goes out for the evening, can I check on my phone and see how she is)?
    • if you don’t recommend the band going over grobags above 1.0 tog, what do you recommend for people in the UK, where most time of the year, babies would be in a 2.5 tog grobag? Is there an alternative for colder nights??

• Hi ,

I have a Nanit Pro camera and I love it. We love how it functions but we would like to see if any of these features can be added to Nanit app.

1. Add an alert if baby is trying to get out of the crib.

2. Add an alert if they are face down during sleep time or have their face covered.

3. Add an alert if they are crossing and entering a restricted area for example a kitchen( allow us to select the area we don't want the child to enter) in case camera is on multi stand mode ( not on floor stand)

4 Add an alert if baby is crying( some of the rooms are sound proof)

• Really want to place an order but need to know this before I can go ahead please???

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@clairem1122

Yes, you can absolutely access the camera on your mobile device when you are out and about! Parents love this feature about Nanit - because you can always check in on baby.

I talked to our product team, and the reason we recommend only using garments that are not thick is to reduce the risk of false red alerts with the breathing band. It's not the TOG per se rather how thick the garment is. Indeed many times there's a correlation between the TOG and the thickness (hence why we recommended 1.0 tog).

• Tali

Hi @raghavgrover , thanks for submitting a question!

These are all great suggestions that we would love to be able to add to our system in the future.

#3 is actually something you can do now by adjusting your motion notification settings.

Open your Nanit app and go to menu -> baby settings -> notifications -> make sure motion notifications are turned on -> tap "Set motion area" and adjust the square to the area in which you want to get notifications for.

Hope this helps!

This discussion has been closed.