Night sleep

My 3 1/2 month old has started waking multiple times throughout the night. She is able to put herself to sleep when put down awake. We have a predictable bedtime routine starting at 7:30 and she has nearly doubled her weight in 3 1/2 months. Could 5 hrs of day time sleep be causing this? Her first 2 naps are 2 hrs and her last nap about an hr.

Any help would be appreciated:)

Comments

• NanitMelanie
    NanitMelanie Nanit Team

@JRI wow I am impressed your baby gets those long 2 hour naps in - I am jealous! My daughter still seems to only nap for 50 minutes, we are lucky to hit that hour mark. Have you tried adjusting her wake windows to be a bit longer? When she wakes in the middle of the night is she eating or are you soothing her back to sleep?

• JRI
    JRI Member

Hello,

I no longer get those naps because I have adjusted her daytime sleep hours. She only sleeps about 40-60 min now. I adjusted her daytime sleep to not exceed 4 1/2 hrs and she is back to only waking once a night + dream feed. Last night she didn’t wake at all between 4-5am. When she does wake I try to not feed her and just soothe but she must be hungry because it’s the only way she goes back to sleep until 7-7:30am. I’m currently working on weaning this feed.

thanks so much for your reply!

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@JRI It sounds like you are doing a great job setting her up with healthy sleep habits! In terms of the night wakings, she might genuinely be waking up hungry so my preference would be to work on gradually ramping up the daytime feeds so that the night feeds will naturally drop. You may need to stil feed her at night for a little while. Im not so sure that the 5 hours of day sleep would cause the night wakings, she might need that much sleep during the day. Work on those day feeds and the night feeds should drop. The key is her falling asleep at the beginning of the night and since she is doing that already you are half way there and those night feeds will drop soon if she is eating enough during the day!