"Ask Me Anything" with Dr. Krupa Playforth, MD, FAAP

Comments

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    KrupaPlayforthMD Member, Expert
    edited August 17

Hi @SamS - if your child is acting acutely very different from normal, it is worth reaching out to your pediatrician to have him assessed.

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

@laurie I'm so sorry! How stressful! The treatment in the pediatric population is primarily supportive - fluids, monitoring, and watching for MISC 4-6 weeks later. As stressful as this is, remember that most pediatric patients do absolutely fine and recover without incident.

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

Hi there @Hannpmc, I would recommend discussing with your pediatrician.

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

@Jacksdad Absolutely! CIO can be very hard to do, and it isn't right for every child/parent. There is no guarantee, unfortunately, but there are many gentle approaches that can work well too. Feel free to reach out to me and I can point you in the direction of some helpful resources! You can find my information in Melanie's original post on the "Ask Me Anything" thread here.

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17 Answer ✓

@Andys I love this question! I am going to do a series of posts on introducing solids (and allergens) and BLW vs purees in the coming weeks! It is too much to address in this forum, but I will briefly say: every baby is different, and there is no single "right" answer here. The data does support early introduction of allergenic foods for infants at high risk for food allergies. I collaborated with several other experts on a BLW book and we have a specific guide on how to prepare the common allergens (book is called "101 before one" - my little one is 5.5 months old and I'll be chronicling some of our adventures with solids in the coming weeks using the recipe book!)

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

Hey there @CLK, check out my response to a similar question "Starting solids" here!

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

@kellyo2263 As a mama of 3 babies with silent reflux, I understand - this can be such a bear!!! I'm so sorry! It sounds like you're doing all the right things, and if things are not improving, you may need to reach out to a pediatric GI doctor. One thing that is a little out of the box: talk to your pediatrician and make sure you've had a good evaluation for a tongue/lip tie. I have seen that present with ongoing, persistent reflux.

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

@Schavez No. Swaddling is a temporary measure, and as long as a baby is not in a "container" when awake (and doing tummy time!), they should have the time and opportunity to work on skills and milestones. I recommend discontinuing the swaddle at 8 weeks or when rolling (whichever is earlier).

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

Hi @Lizmum_77, if you are struggling, it may be time to reach out for help. Discuss with your pediatrician and consider a referral to a speech therapist to help you trouble-shoot. Although there is often a learning curve to eating solids, for a 10 month old I would expect more progress than this.

• KrupaPlayforthMD
    edited August 17

@Geetika10 We do not recommend sleep training a child who is this young. Typically, most 2 month olds are not capable of self-soothing, although I am a big advocate of the "pause" as a brief moment to allow them the opportunity to try. At 2 months, working on creating an optimal sleep environment is a good first step, but otherwise I would try to focus on full feeds, and getting support and help so you are able to get a break. This forum is not really ideal to detail my other suggestions but I have some more information on my social media page.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.