"Ask Me Anything" with Dr. Krupa Playforth, MD, FAAP

Comments

• Hi! My 7 month old daughter is starting to do these loud, but short cries in her sleep, sometimes she does it even when shes asleep in my arms... Its almost like shes in pain or discomfort. Is this normal? Could it be stomach or digestive pain? Or bad dreams? or just fighting sleep?

Thanks,

Laura

• Gia_Z23
    Gia_Z23 Member, Super Parent

Hello! My almost 3 year old son had no issues with pee potty training. We’ve had very few accidents. He was the one that started potty training himself- we didn’t push it. However, he doesn’t seem to have any interest in pooping on the toilet. We have tried rewards, a chart with a big toy prize, throwing his underwear out rather than cleaning them, special underwear (Blippi). We never shame, we just remind him that when he needs to go he should tell us. Not sure if this is a result of his stubbornness, or if he’s scared, or if it hurts to go? Any suggestions would be wonderful!

• Hello. I have a 2.5 year old who has been having very early morning wake ups, every night, for the past year.He wakes up anywhere between 1:00 to 4:00 AM. I have tied everything from changing his bedtime to having him cry it out but he will not go back to sleep on his own unless I bring him in bed with me. Any tips or thoughts would be very appreciated.

• My 17 months old wakes up at night and fusses for 1-3 hours at least 5 days a week. Other times when she sleeps through the night she will wake up super early. On average her total night time sleep is 9 hours. She's been like this for almost 2 months now. We sleep trained her at 3 months old. She is not a good sleeper but she hasn't been this bad ever. Now she goes to bed at 8:30pm, wakes after ~5 hours, cries, yells, and cannot self-sooth until she became too exhausted after 1-3 hours. We tried cry it out, Ferber, pick-up put-down, even give her a bottle, nothing seems to help. She does one 1.5-2 hour nap mid day. Her total sleep time is always on the lower end but I am worried this has become too low for her age. Is this normal sleep regression? How long will it last? Can it get better on its own or is there anything we can do to help? She can be very cranky during the day when she is not sleeping enough but her growth is otherwise really good.

• Our 3 year old stopped taking naps around the age of 2 and fights going to sleep at night. She has always been on the low end of the sleep spectrum, but when she does sleep longer it makes her feel better. It seems we’ve tried everything, except supplements. We are worried she would become dependent on them or her body wouldn’t make enough of its own melatonin. Thanks in advance!

• My 2 1/2 year old daughter walks on her toes a lot. She is bright, articulate and very social - and the PT says she has great range of motion. She doesn’t like me stretching her achilles - or even touching her feet - so we have been doing ramp and ladder activities to stretch. The PT wants her to get braces to correct it but I don’t see how she’ll keep them on. What are the long-term side effects from toe-walking?

• Hey! My 19 month old daughter has fallen in weight from 25th percentile to under 10th. She barely eats anything and prefers formula. She does not let us spoon feed her. She eats on her own but is very picky. How do I go about encouraging her to eat without pressuring her? She seems to eat okay at daycare. She is active otherwise but is just very lanky. Thanks!

• Bailey_Kaye142
    edited December 2021

I have a 4 month old and right now she's going to bed between 8:00 and 9:40 ish. She doesn't actually fall asleep until around 11:30 and usually needs help falling asleep. She also hasn't really slept the whole night through. Up until a week ago, she was only waking me up once to feed her. However, now she is back to waking up every 3 (ish) hours. Am I doing something wrong? Is there something I should change?

• I was pregnant with my second baby when my then 18 month old was ready and showing signs for potty training.. I was so pregnant and ready to give birth that I couldn’t really keep up and dropped the ball.. now she’s 3 and my second oldest is 14 months.. I want to potty train both at the same time if possible.. any tips? Whenever I bring it up to my 3 year old sometimes she agrees and a lot of the time she says no.. idk if it’s a regression thing? Maybe worried I won’t give her that one on one time when I change her diaper.. etc.. I need to get her potty trained for school because I don’t really want anyone else changing her diapers. What would be some ways I can get my 3yo and 14mo to get started on potty training? I’ve already got the toilets.. I’ve read about charts and stickers… videos, books etc..

• Ana86
    Ana86 Member
    edited December 2021

Our baby is 6months and he is waking up every 1-2 hours during the night as he is loosing his dummy. I have tried to give up giving him but he screamed very bad everytime when I am trying to take it. He is keeping the dummy only when he sleeps day and night, when he is awake he never wants it. Is there any age when he will start finding the dummy in the crib? Or I should do something for this?

many thanks

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.