Darkness required for daytime naps

I was curious if it’s preferable to use a completely dark room for daytime naps? I often see it’s mentioned that complete darkness is preferable, even in the day, but I don’t understand why.

Everything I’ve read says that melatonin will only increase at night so what is the benefit of using a dark room for a daytime nap.

https://www.nanit.com/blog/importance-light-dark/?utm_source=Intercom&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=LTV&utm_content=bw2month

Comments

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

Great question @Enigma ! There are a few reasons why a dark room for naps is a good idea. Firstly, it takes away any stimulation for your baby. Staring at trees outside the window, baby wipes on the changing table or the paintings on the wall can all be very stimulating for your baby. Making the room dark takes that away. Secondly, consistency is key when thinking about creating healthy sleep habits. So if you have a dark room for sleep at night, a dark room for naps will become a sleep cue for them and it will help them know that it is time to sleep!