ICYMI: Nanit Webinar about Baby Sleep

NanitMackenzie
NanitMackenzie Community Moderator, Nanit Team
edited April 4 in Routines

We teamed up with Coterie and Newton to host a Baby Sleep Webinar - an expert-led discussion on your most asked baby sleep questions – from schedules, feedings, regressions, and everything in between. The webinar featured our very own @Natalie_Barnett_PhD, Director of Clinical Research & Pediatric Sleep Expert, as well as Pediatrician @KrupaPlayforthMD of The Pediatrician Mom and @DrMonicaOrdway from the Yale School of Nursing. 

Here are a few top questions & answers from the webinar:

Q: How can I help my child if they are fighting sleep?

• A: Pay attention to sleep cues! When they seem really tired, it's often too late. The typical progression is an active period, followed by a brief quiet/clumsy/sensitive phase (ex. they shove food off table), followed by crying. By the crying phase, they are usually past the tipping point, and it becomes more difficult for them to fall asleep. Try to pick up the earlier cues and use that as an indicator that it's time to put baby down to sleep.

Q: What recommendations do you have for new parents to create a routine and manage their baby's sleep and their own lack of sleep?

• A: Try to sleep when baby sleeps during the day if you can in the first weeks. In the first 3-4 months, it's okay to not have a perfect schedule. Most newborn babies can't self-soothe - meaning they rely on caregivers to keep them calm and happy, don't be too worried about this creating 'bad' sleep habits in the first few months. 
  • Start to develop a bedtime routine (a few calm activities with baby, set your baby down drowsy but awake, and saying a mantra like "goodnight, I love you, I'll see you in the morning"). 20 minutes of downtime with your child before bed is very rewarding and will help in developing a more consistent routine (or if you choose to do sleep training) when baby is older. 

Q: When is it recommended to wake a sleeping baby for a feed?

• A: in the first 2-3 months, aim for 8-12 feedings per 24 hour period. Only wake your sleeping baby to feed before they re-gain their birth weight (this happens in the first 10-14 days for most healthy babies) OR if your pediatric health provider recommends it. 

Check out the full webinar below!

Join the community to check out our other expert events and continue the conversation about all things sleep - Routines, Safe Sleep, Self-Soothing, Sleep Training, Swaddling and more!

PS - don't miss these special webinar deals - available through 3/31/2022:

• Coterie is offering 20% off your first order – visit coterie.com and use code NANITSLEEP20 at checkout.
  • Newton is offering $40 off a Newton Crib Mattress– visit newtonbaby.com and use code SAFESLEEP40. Orders of $199 or more.
  • Nanit is offering you 20% off all Nanit camera purchases for our Sleep Month sale – visit nanit.com, no code necessary.
Tagged:
This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.