Night Feedings

My 8 month old daughter used to only wake up once around 4:30am but for the past month has been waking up every 2-3 hours. I try not to feed her but she screams until I give in. How can I cut back on night feedings and get her to sleep through the night?

Comments

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

Hi @Danae_Carney,

I'd first make sure she is getting enough to eat during the day. We see this a lot when babies haven't ramped up their solid intake enough. I'd love her to be taking three solid feeds per day now. If she's getting enough to eat, make sure she's falling asleep by herself at the beginning of the night. When she can do it, it will be easier for her to fall back to sleep when she wakes.

• She breastfeeds every 2 1/2 hours during the day and has 3 meals of Purées a day. Is that considered solids?

She is great at falling asleep on her own when she first lays down but not as the night goes on.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Danae_Carney,

Oh, it sounds like she's eating plenty! Great job!!

I suspect she needs to opportunity to fall back to sleep on her own (which you can do several different ways - CIO, Modified CIO, pick up and put down, staying in the room with her until she falls asleep). Whichever method you choose, just be consistent.

They all work if you are consistent, its about what you feel comfortable with following through on!