9 Month old STILL waking every 2 hours

Our 9month old little boy is still waking up every 2 hours every night because he’s hungry, he’s been doing this since he’s been born! he has NEVER slept through the night, and isn’t able to self soothe. Any suggestions on what to do to help him? We typically give him between 20-35 min to try to self soothe, it never works. He has to be fed again to go back to sleep. We don’t know what to do anymore! Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. TIA

Comments

• Are you soley giving breast milk/formula? You could try adding rice cereal to it to help hold him over. Check with your doc but most ppl try that earlier than 9mo too.

• Unfortunately I have no answer. Just wanted to share I have a 9 month old in the same situation. I’m very exhausted. A couple of weeks ago it was a bit better after trying to do Ferber method for two weeks but then he got sick and ever since the. It’s been horrible.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@DaddyCaudle You must be exhausted! Im so sorry! Assuming your baby is healthy and was born on time, they should be physically capable of going through the night without a feed at this stage. But if they are eating at night, they might not be so hungry during the day, and then need to eat again at night, its a vicious cycle. I'd love to see your little one taking three solid meals and four milk feeds a day at this age. If they are getting all that, they should be able to go through the night without a feed. Take a look at the Nanit Sleep Schedule Generator which is a good feeding and sleeping guide to get started, so we can gradually make sure those calories are consumed during the day.

The other thing to remember is that what your baby needs to fall asleep at the beginning of the night will be what they need to get back to sleep when they wake up during the night (all babies wake up, many know how to get back to sleep by themselves). So if they are falling asleep at the breast or bottle or in someones arms, they will be frustrated if they dont have that when they wake.

The best thing you can do to get your baby to sleep through the night is have them fall asleep by themselves at the beginning of the night in the crib. Once they can do that, the night feeds will naturally drop very quickly!

• I’m having the same issue. My little one turns 9 months in one week and is still waking up all the time. I feed him 3x a day. Breastfeed him. I can’t get him to fall asleep on his own. As soon as he touches the crib semi-awake he’s up and crying or playing. I’ll post later if I’m successful. Best of luck in your journey!

• I recommend heysleepybaby on Instagram..her highlights are super helpful and actually realistic if you are not interested in sleep training.

• Jessi
    Jessi Member

my little boy just turned 4 months old and wakes up 3 to 6 times every night ! The average is 4 and I am burnt out from both ends tbh. What I don’t understand is that at 2 months he was able to sleep through the night with just one feed at 2 am for about 2 weeks and then he got his shots… then all hell broke loose. We have a respected sleep schedule, at 7:30 he’s fast asleep, he has 4 naps during the day… nothing out of the ordinary.

He wakes up soooo hungry it’s unbelievable, throughout the day he eats about 25-30oz milk/formula, it’s not even a question of if he falls back asleep or not, he won’t until he eats again ! We tried a bit of pablum and didn’t do any difference. I try to put back his soother sometimes just to try and see if it will calm him, yeeesh that makes him more mad !

anyways… I feel you 😩.

• I took the TakingCaraBabies sleep training course and it really helped. His sleep time gradually went from 2am to 7pm and he gradually started getting longer stretches of sleep. The “lay baby down” portion of the course was super helpful for helping my son learn how to self sooth in a conservative way. He still has wake ups during the night, especially at the 4 month sleep regression, but they are getting fewer and further in between.