Self-soothing

My baby is 3 months old. He wakes up 2-3 times a night. In some ocasiona he is able to put himself back to sleep fast. In others he can be up whining for almost an hour. He doesn’t like a pacifier but he does suck his fingers and has access to them through this sleep suit. He’s not hungry. I only pick him up to rock him after an hour of tapping and trying to help him back to sleep. Is this normal? Any suggestions?

Answers

• My daughter was about 6 or 7 times a night at 3 months. 2 or 3 sounds amazing and what she is doing now at 8 months!

She didn't like a pacifier either but last night she slept through for only the 3rd time ever. She has been 1 or 2 times for the last week and it came out of nowhere so I think they all get there eventually.

I follow this amazing lady on insta! I highly recommend

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaAQIVWI0Q4/?utm_medium=share_sheet

• This is completely developmentally normal..there is not enough talk about what is ACTUALLY normal for newborns and infants in regards to how long they sleep at night. Though not harmful, sleep training babies is exactly that, behavioral training/operant conditioning. If it were normal for all babies to sleep through the night, we would not need sleep training. Night wakings are normal..all babies wake in the night, the difference is that some cry/signal and some do not. I recommend heysleepybaby on Instagram..her highlights are super helpful and actually realistic if you are not interested in sleep training.