"Ask Me Anything" about Baby Sleep with Carolynne Harvey Founder of Dream Baby Sleep

Melanie
Melanie Nanit Team
edited June 29 in Sleep Training

Ask Carolynne Anything about Baby Sleep! Post your questions below today, June 29th, between 9 am and 6 pm ET.

Newborn, Baby & Toddler sleep expert, Founder of Dream Baby Sleep, Author of Dream Baby Nights, and creator of the Sleep Lab & Newborn Sleep Class. Carolynne Harvey has spent 8 years perfecting 4 gentle sleep training methods to give parents choices they are comfortable with to start sleeping better tonight. 

Today, June 29th between 9 am and 6 pm ET @dreambabysleep is here to answer your questions about Baby Sleep! Post your questions on this thread and Carolynne will respond by June 30th at 11:59 pm ET.

Be sure to follow Dream Baby Sleep on Instagram @dreambabysleep and check out their baby sleep resources HERE.

*Carolynne will attempt to answer as many questions as possible, but may not be able to answer all due to volume.

Comments

• Leigh
    Leigh Member

Sleep training 9m/o, should we keep bedtime and naps at same times, for consistency or use wake windows? Baby wakes early in the morning randomly and had poor naps sometimes

• Leigh
    Leigh Member

9m/o wake windows seem to shorten throughout the day instead of being able to be longer. How can we fix this with out being overtired and having bad naps/sleep

• TaylorH
    TaylorH Member

Hello,

I have an almost 14 month who we are wanting to sleep train. She is used to be rocked and nursed to sleep. She starts her sleep in her crib and then comes to sleep in our bed when she wakes up. She then nurses through out the night. Sometimes, she wakes up again after 1-2 hours of sleeping and has to be either rocked again or sometimes goes back to sleep if her back is patted/rubbed. She is also a contact napper. We would like for her to be able to soothe herself to back to sleep when she wakes up and sleep in her own crib at night.

Thank you,

Taylor

• Nikkdoll
    Nikkdoll Member

Sleep training 5Mo — he’s doing so week putting himself to sleep, etc. but every night between 1-4am he wakes up, but doesn’t cry. Only whines. How do I get him to start sleeping thru this?

His wake windows are currently 2-3hours and sleeps 3-3.5 hours in 3 naps during the day

• Mar
    Mar Member

I am struggling with having my 4 month old sleeping. Naps are only lasting 30 mins to no more than over an hour. Bedtime I try to do the same routine the same time. At night he won’t go more than a 4 hour stretch & wakes up 2-3 times a night. Is there anything that I can do to help this sleep regression he’s having?

• dreambabysleep
    dreambabysleep Member, Expert

@Leigh At 9 months old we want to be on 2 naps a day at about 9am and 1pm. You want to apply the 1 hour rule to nap 1 and nap 2 to teach baby how to connect sleep cycles to achieve our goal of minimum 60 minutes of asleep time for each nap. Timing is key! We sleep train awake for the day by applying our sleep traing method of choice to the early rising until 6:30am. #1 cause of night waking and early rising is bedtime being too late so be sure bedtime isn't later than 7:30pm on the 2 naps. It can be earlier if baby is fussy. You need a clear plan to sleep train successfully so definately check out my book or Sleep Lab Class! You've got this.

• Sam_B
    Sam_B Member

My 6 month old has mainly been contact napping up until last week. I’m now working on her napping in her crib but she can’t ever get passed 30 minutes a nap. Any tips to get her to sleep longer? Her night sleep was always ok (1wake up) until the last few days where we struggle to get her back to sleep after 4am. Guessing her lack of long naps in the day isn’t helping this. Bedtime is 6:30-7:00

thanks

• dreambabysleep

@TaylorH To move away from contact napping, feeding or holding to sleep we want to choose a sleep method you're comfortable with like Check & Console or Chair Method. Timing is super important. 2 naps at roughly 9am and 1pm and bedtime no later than 7:30pm, earlier if baby is short napping or on 1 nap. If you're ready to move away from night feeds, check out my 8 step night weaning guide!

• dreambabysleep

@Nikkdoll Oh la la, this is my absolute favorite age to sleep train because it comes together so quickly. You're spot on with 3 naps a day at about 9/12/3 with bedtime no later than 6:30pm at this age. My Sleep Lab is perfect for you right now. You need to choose a sleep training method you're comfortable with Pick Up Put Down, Chair Method or Check & Console. With the night waking between 1-4am it's likely tied to bedtime being too late. A great place to start is my free 3 part video training!

• Marisa
    Marisa Member

My daughter will be 7 months in 5 days and she is still waking up at night wanting to be fed. We have almost 3 year old twins so I know I need to work on getting her to bed earlier. The latest is sometimes 8p. I really think my problem is that she doesn’t consume enough milk during the day. We offer and end up wasting a lot of breast milk and formula because she won’t finish a bottle. We moved her to 2 meals a day thinking that would help and maybe it has or will work but it’s too soon to tell. I also have her on 2 naps 9a and 1p. We usually wake her at 1.5 sometimes we let her go 2 hours.

• Jane
    Jane Member
    edited June 29

Hi Carolynne,

Thanks so much for the opportunity to ask questions and get your advice! My one-year-old who just celebrated his birthday on Friday is a pretty great sleeper. We successfully sleep-trained at 4.5 mo and nap-trained around 5.5 mo, and for the last 1-2 months he's been sleeping through the night (10.5-11.5 hr sleeps!)

My question is actually regarding the 2-to-1 nap transition. How do we know baby is ready and how do we go about doing it? Currently, his wake windows are 3.25/3.5/3.5; on a normal day, he wakes between 7-8am, naps start around 10:30-11am and 3:45-4pm, and bedtime is 8-8:30pm. We try to cap naps to ~2.5 hours each day, and we wake him by 5pm from his last nap at the latest. We haven't extended his wake windows in a while, since all the running around he's doing (supported/learning to walk) tires him out completely, and his little internal clock basically knows when it's nap time!

I think we're going to slowly moving to 3.5/3.5/4, but I'm not in a hurry to push him to 1 nap... although on some rare days he's been fighting the second nap, only napping for 20 mins or not napping at all. Right now, I just can't imagine him staying awake long enough each wake window for a one-nap day anytime soon! I would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you!

• dreambabysleep

@Mar The great news is all bets are off 0-4 months so you have a clean slate and have done a great job. Short naps are common, we can teach baby to connect sleep cycles by applying the 1 hour rule, check out more details in the nap blog. You want to offer 3 naps at about 9am, noon and 3pm and bedtime no later than 6:30pm at this age. Choose a sleep training method like Pick Up Put Down or Check & Console and apply to the short naps and night waking outside a scheduled feed. The best place to start is with my 3 part free video training! You're doing awesome. Visit us on Instagram and grab my 4 month sleep regresion survival guide!

• Hi, we have a 7MO who goes to sleep on her own at 8pm. She's been teething and/or had a cold for about 8 weeks now. This means she wakes between 3am - 5am crying with a very stuffy nose. I try to use saline drops and suction her nose and put her back down to sleep, but she typically requires a feed in order to fall asleep again until 7am. Am I sabotaging our chances of effectively sleep training later by feeding her during those early morning hours?

• Yusra
    Yusra Member
    edited June 29

Hi Carolynne,

I have recently sleep trained my 16 month old and he’s sleeping great through the night but his naps are very short (between 40-50 mins). He wakes up crying and really tired but he can’t put himself back to sleep for a nap. He wakes up at 6am and usually takes a nap after 5/5.5hr mark. It’s been 1.5 months since his sleep training and naps are still such a struggle. Because he’s up by noon he sleeps at 6:30pm because he’s exhausted. For his nap we keep his room pitch black with a loud sound machine and it works great for night time but I don’t know how to help him take longer naps. I’ve tried putting him down earlier in case he’s overtired but if I put him down too early he doesn’t even fall asleep.

any other tips?

• JuneK
    JuneK Member

Hi Carolynne,

Thank you so much for your time, it is really appreciated. We unsuccessfully sleep-trained our 6-month old baby a month ago and we've decided to give it another go next week (at 7-months). He has to be held to sleep for his naps and has to be nursed to sleep several times in the night. He currently has 2 naps- 9-11 am and 1-3 pm. Wakes up at 7 am and is in bed by 7 pm.

We have three questions. 1) should we sleep train both naps and night at the same time? Will it be too **** him seeing that he's heavily dependent on his crutches? 2) How long should we try during the day so that he's not too exhausted for bedtime? 3) The last time we tried his demeanor changed; he seemed exhausted and stressed, is this normal? (that's why we quit)

Thanks again for your time!

• dreambabysleep

@Sam_B Short napping at this age is very common. First we look at timing, you want to be on 3 naps at about 9am noon and 3pm. The goal is nap 1&2 to be 60 minutes or longer of asleep time. A sleep cycle is about 20-30 minutes so we apply the 1 hour rule to naps to teach baby how to connect sleep cycles. We need to start with drowsy but awake, if baby falls asleep on you she will surely wake looking for you. Choose a sleep method you're comfortable with and apply it when she short naps. With short naps bedtime should be no later than 6:3OPM for now. Hang in there you're doing great.

• dreambabysleep

Hi @Marisa I feel for you wasting breast milk, I've been there and it's awful. You're doing a great job. A key indicator it's time to night wean is when they start to eat more at night then during the day, it's called reverse cycling. At this age we want to consume between 26-32 ounces in a 24 hour period, check with your Pediatrician, we want to focus on growing on a curve vs weight. Naps are great at 9am and 1pm just make bedtime no later than 7pm assuming both naps are 60-90mins plus. You don't have to wake her at 1.5 hours, cap nap 1 at 2 hours and nap 2 by 3:30pm to protect the sleep pressure headed into bedtime. Grab my 8 step night weaning guide and choose a sleep training method to apply to the night waking.

• dreambabysleep

@Jane You're doing great. The 2 to 1 nap transition occurs between 14-19 months old, the longer you fight to keep 2 naps the easier the transition will be! Your timing has been working up to now but I suggest you offer nap 1 no later than 9am, nap 1 is actually not a nap but a continuation of night sleep which is why the awake period is so short. As long as baby is awake by 7:30am you're still good to go with nap 1 at 9am. nap 2 should start no later than 1pm. I have a great video on Instagram with step by step instructions for the 2 to 1 nap transition. DM me on Instagram 2 to 1 and I'll send it to you!

• dreambabysleep

@Bosshammers Great question! 1-2 feeds at night up until 12 months of age is perfectly normal. The key to success is to not knee jerk feed as a solution to not being able to self soothe. We want to feed the nutritional need only. If you're on 1 scheduled night feed and it helps baby connect sleep cycles until awake for the day I vote you leave it alone. Focus on 2 naps a day at 9am and 1pm and bedtime no later than 7:30pm. Feel better soon, you're doing great! when you're ready to night wean grab my 8 step night weaning guide!

• Leslie
    Leslie Member

Hi! I have a 9 month old who successfully sleep trained around 7 months. She’ll still wake for feedings occasionally, but until this week had long stretches of 10-12 hours overnight sleep. She has a strict bedtime routine, goes down at 7pm on her own and previously would self soothe back to sleep after night wakings. Now that she’s close to crawling it’s as if she can’t get comfortable on her belly anymore and when she wakes she flails and can’t get back to sleep. She’s becoming overtired due to poor overnight sleep which is making both nap time and bed time harder. Any advice for babies at developmental milestones that are impacting sleep?

• dreambabysleep

Hi @Yusra Short napping is very common, are you on 1 nap per day? Babies drop from 2 to 1 nap between 14-19 months old. The one nap should start around 12:30/1pm and bedtime at this age with short naps should be no later than 6:30pm. We apply the 90 minute rule to the 1 nap a day! Choose a sleep method to apply to the short naps or night waking. You're doing a great job, this toddler game is no joke!

• Hey! I have a 2.5 year old, and she has always been a really great sleeper. Baby #2 is coming in the next couple of weeks and I feel like I don't remember anything from those early days. Any tips to get my brain back into newborn sleep mode? Thanks!

• dreambabysleep

@JuneK Big hugs, what you're experiencing is very normal and happens to almost all of us including me! It's best to approach sleep as a 24 hour sleep cycle and do nights and naps at the same time because one impacts the other. If you prefer start with just nights because night sleep consolidates first. The success of sleep trianing lies with YOU choosing a method you're comfortable with. I'd suggest Pick Up Put Down or Chair method so you're in the room with baby and don't need to worry about baby feeling stressed. Timing is good with 2 naps. I want you to first start with my free 3 part video training, it's the step before sleep training and will teach you how to start practicing the purposeful pause and achieve the almight drowsy but awake! You can do this but you must be consistent!

• I have a 15 month old on 2 naps but has been waking very early in the morning…. He is fussy during the days he wakes early. Any schedule advice for this age?

• Hello!!! My 5 month old sleeps very well at night, from 8pm to 6:30 am. First nap 9 am- 10:30 am, second nap 1- 2:30 pm and third nap from 5- 5:40 pm. Sometimes she wakes up earlier from the 2nd nap (lasting only 45 min) should I wake her up at that time or leave her for 25 min until she falls back to sleep again?

• Good afternoon!

Our six month old, doesn’t really fall asleep on her own. We’ve been trying to work on different techniques to get her trained to settle herself but sometimes she is inconsolable! It’s been a bit of a bad week this week (only Tuesday!)

Unfortunately she doesn’t take well to a bottle so I can’t really help in the evening, this adds to the stress when I really can’t help my wife when she’s (baby) being a bit fussy.

Any tips for changing a babies routine for a baby that is fed to sleep? When she is fed to sleep she really eats quite a bit. This goes against a lot of the advise we’ve read about feeding first. Additionally if she is crying inconsolably, do we leave her or comfort her?

Shes going through some kind of leap/change where she is going through crying, clinginess, crankiness. Which is making this week super tough!

Wife is close to a breakdown and I am keen to try and change for the future but at the same time it is very tough seeing baby cry. We both know deep down we have to try and make changes, but other than this week, she’s been doing okay.

Do babies ever grow out of being fed to sleep? We want her to be independent! Sorry for the long post.

• We currently do bath, massage, feed, bed, but baby always falls asleep during final breastfeed. How do I put my baby to bed, awake, after feeding? Or where/how should we change the night time routine?

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

Our AMA with @dreambabysleep is now closed. Any new questions posted will not be prioritized by Carolynne, however, we encourage you to follow her on Instagram, and check out her resources!

Be on the lookout for our next Ask Me Anything & take a look at our free Sleep Webinar Series happening tomorrow, June 30th. More information and registration details can be found here.

• Hello, my baby is 10 months and sleeps through the night finally most nights maybe wakes for one feed around 4am, she naps great 1.5-2hour twice a day. Almost a perfect sleeper however she screams the place down as soon as we walk into her bedroom to start her nap time routine which consists of nappy change , feed, story book, “night night Thea bear love you” exit the room, she protests and cries every night for 10-20 mins before falling asleep with her comforter and dummy. How can we make it less stressful for her? Why does she protest sleep so much? I thought it was her room but she also cries when she clocks on we’re putting for down for a nap in the travel cot.

It’s also impossible for her to ‘nap on the go’

• dreambabysleep

@Leslie This is very common. The good news is you have a great sleeper, it's in there. How you respond to baby when she wakes is key. If she's been tummy sleeping for a while it's not being on her tummy that's the problem. A developmental leap like rolling, crawling, walking, talking often disrupt sleep for a week or so. The crib is their safe place and they practice new skills in the crib. To help baby during this time decide on exactly how you'll respond. Quick checks is great at this age to give baby loving direction, stay in the room 1-3 minutes, don't pick baby up, pat shushs, use a positive sleep mantra and leave! Offer bedtime earlier with the new found night waking, around 6:30pm to help catch up on some lost sleep and prevent an over tired state. You should be on 2 naps at this age at 9am and 1pm to allow for enought sleep pressure headed into bedtime. You're doing great!

This discussion has been closed.