How to I get my 11 week old from needing to be held to sleep?

I go back to work tomorrow and my mom will have him while I work till we can get into daycare.

Every time I try to lay him down during naps he starts wailing and only wants to sleep in my arms

Gramma or daycare won't do that.

Any tips? At night he is fine in the crib. I don't get it.

Answers

• Brodas
    Brodas Member

Hi there,

Proud Dad here. I just purchased a book call, The happy sleeper. Our friend recommended it and her baby is getting great sleep. We are experiencing to a degree what you’re going through with our 1 month old so I hope this book helps. If you have the time look into getting it. I’ll try to update here if I can.

• Dad
    Dad Member

Sleep training i hard but Worth it. When they get old a enough a blanket also helps but they need to be ready for it.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

Hi @Iluvtosing1982 Carolynne Harvey of Dream Baby Sleep is hosting an AMA here in the community today! She would be a great expert to get some additional insight from - feel free to post your questions for her here.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

Here are a few tips from Dr Harriet Hiscock from the Univerity of Melbourne and the Pediatric Sleep Council. Here is what Dr Hiscock recommends: 'Many babies take time to learn to go to sleep, so first of all be patient! Try to develop a little routine so she knows what to expect and when. For example, when she first wakes up from a nap, give her a feed. Then spend some time playing with her or letting her play on a mat. When she looks tired (yawning, jerking her arms and legs, clenching her fists, frowning and – late signs – fussing and crying), then pick her up, wrap her if you are using a wrap (swaddle), and take her into the bedroom. Once there, gently rock her in your arms until she is calm but not completely asleep. Try putting her in her cot (crib or bassinet) drowsy but awake. If she screams or cries, try stroking her forehead or patting her chest while she is in the cot. Try each technique for at least 5 minutes before swapping to the next technique. Make sure the room is fairly dark too. If she is still crying after 30 minutes or so, pick her up out of the cot and try again for her next sleep.'

• Mimi
    Mimi Member

We had the same issue with our daughter. Napped only in our hands and we had to rock her for her night sleep. She however slept pretty good during the night. She needed to be completely out before we put her in the crib or she would cry as crazy.

We were starting to loose our minds. So at 22 weeks we decided to move her into her room and decided to do a sleep training with CIO method (the easy one where we would go in after 5 minutes of crying to comfort her, then again after minutes, etc.). We were so scared and thought we are ruining her but the first evening she cried for 5 minutes, husband went in, comforted her for a minute, she cried for another 3 minutes and then literally fell asleep on her own. The second day we put her down into her crib for nap and she immediately fell asleep without complaining. After 3 days of CIO method she slept through the night. She is still an amazing sleeper even now when she’s almost 14 months. So based on my experience I would recommend moving the kid into their own room and do sleep training. However every kiddo is different. Hopefully you will figure it out.