"Ask Me Anything" with Dr. Krupa Playforth, MD, FAAP

Comments

• Hello,

How can we distinguish between 12 mth sleep regression and the need to transition to 1 nap? My 12 mth old has been taking 1 nap everyday for a week now. He usually falls asleep in the morning after a 3hr wake period, but will not nap in the afternoon. He will walk around his crib for an hour before I get him. I read that babies usually transition to 1 nap after 14 mths, so I’m hesitant to start so early. How long do I keep trying for 2 naps before I transition to 1 nap?

• Hi! Our 18 month old was doing wonderfully with napping and our putting her down to sleep until just the last week. Nothing has changed but suddenly she’s just not going to sleep on her own, even though she’s visibly tired. What might have caused this shift and what can we do?

• Hi! I have kind of a two-part question about my 8½ month old (7 months adjusted). I try to pick up on sleep cues during the day for naps and keep her on a schedule for 2 or 3 naps/day depending on her temperament. But 4 or 5 days out of the week, she will only sleep for ten minutes at a time, for each nap, and then just be awake. She goes down for bed at 7 every night with no issue, falls asleep within 5 minutes, and sleeps through the night for an average of 11-12 hours. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to help her nap better? Also, and this may have to do with her lack of "day" sleeping, she cries all the time. She is my third, so yes, I know babies cry. But unless I am holding her, she is ONLY crying. My two older kids (5 and 2) suffer for it, as does my house, because I am constantly having to hold her, but I am at a complete loss. She's not colicky or gassy, because as soon as I pick her up, she stops. She's not bored, we have a whole baby-safe play area with plenty of her favorite toys, and she's mobile so she can explore. But I don't know what to do anymore and honestly it's killing my mental health too because I feel so guilty with feeling like I don't give my other two enough time. Then my house is constantly in disarray. I am always behind on chores, and by the end of the day I am so exhausted that I just want to sleep instead of clean. I don't know if it's okay to just let her cry in her play area as long as she's safe? Can I leave her in her crib longer? I never dealt with this with my boys, so I am at a total loss.

Thank you for your consideration!

• Hi there! 

my little one is 8 months old and doesn’t respond to her name at all. She will turn her head for sounds and get startled at loud noises but when I try to call her- I get nothing! We’ve been really bad at calling her by her name and she has 13974 pet names so I’m not sure if that’s the issue. She makes eye contact, smiles and laughs, has hit all milestones so far but this got me worried. Is there anything I need to do?

• My toddler still drinks formula at night at 2.5 years old. How can I stop and is it OK?

• Hi,

I have a 7 week old who has cradle cap and recently her skin is so rough kind of feels like sand paper mostly along her cheeks. Im not sure if it’s baby acne or rash because it extends out to her neck. What should I do, is it a concern? Should I let it be? When will it get better?

• Hi. When is vomiting during eating a problem? I have a 10 month old who has been doing baby led weaning since 5 and a half months old. He used to vomit a bit during a meal when starting solids, and I could understand this due to learning to eat. But over time he mostly stopped. Suddenly over the last few weeks he has started vomiting more. His whole dinner came up the other night because he finished with some banana. Another night it was some soft french toast. Because we have been doing BLW from the beginning I am not sure if he is battling with texture and food sizes or if it is something else. I have been showing him how to chew and also making food smaller for his pincer grip. Is vomiting normal? Any tips for reducing it? What causes it? Thank you.

• Hi! I have kind of a two-part question about my 8½ month old (7 months adjusted). I try to pick up on sleep cues during the day for naps and keep her on a schedule for 2 or 3 naps/day depending on her temperament. But 4 or 5 days out of the week, she will only sleep for ten minutes at a time, for each nap, and then just be awake. She goes down for bed at 7 every night with no issue, falls asleep within 5 minutes, and sleeps through the night for an average of 11-12 hours. I'm wondering if there is something I can do to help her nap better? Also, and this may have to do with her lack of "day" sleeping, she cries all the time. She is my third, so yes, I know babies cry. But unless I am holding her, she is ONLY crying. My two older kids (5 and 2) suffer for it, as does my house, because I am constantly having to hold her just so I don't have to hear her crying, but I am at a complete loss. She's not colicky or gassy, because as soon as I pick her up, she stops. She's not bored, we have a whole baby safe play area with plenty of her favorite toys, , and she's mobile so she can explore. But I don't know what to do anymore and honestly it's killing my mental health too. I don't know if it's okay to just let her cry in her play area? I never dealt with this with my boys, so I am at a total loss.

Thank you for your consideration!

• Hi - I breastfeed my 7.5 month old almost exclusively and at around 4 months I was told to begin some vitamin D drops to my baby’s diet. I haven’t been so good at doing that daily - how bad is this? Am I doing irreparable damage? How important is the vitamin D supplementation?

• Laurenmorgan
    Laurenmorgan Member, Super Parent

Is it ok to introduce solids at 4 months? My LO has been uncomfortable with a bottle since the start and I never intended to exclusively breastfeed (I find it mentally exhausting and worry that the stress could be impacting my daughter). So is this something I can explore now or is there some developmental milestone I should wait for.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.