"Ask Me Anything" with Dr. Krupa Playforth, MD, FAAP

Comments

• Hi Dr. Playforth, my baby was born with a slight tongue tie, will this issue impair his speech and eating ability in the future? Should I be worried? Hope to hear from you real soon. Thank you so much!

• My baby boy is almost 18 months old. He has naps during the day, eats every meal, drinks his milk, and we try to sleep him at the same time every night. However, he fights to stay awake and also wakes up One or two times at night. We have tried the Nanit tips, nothing works. What else could we do so all of us sleep through the night?

• i Have been trying to help teach my 13 month old to fall asleep on her own since 6 months however it’s not working, and has no problem sleeping in her crib but she won’t fall asleep without help, which I thought I was doing ok since I would nurse her before nap or bed and lay her down while drowsy however it hasn’t been working. I don’t know if she has separation anxiety or not…really need help since I am still getting up 5 times throughout the night to help fall back to sleep 😵‍💫😴

• Hi there! We recently put our four month old into daycare after I ran out of time off. Since the very first week he started going, he has been sick. They wear masks and they state the clean the toys as well. He has had viruses, ear infections, upper respiratory, and pink eye. And to top it off, he has given to us at home. I’m currently on immunosuppressive drugs too, so I’m getting hit hard. Is there anything we can do for him to help him not get sick from daycare as much?

• @mkd929 this is a great question! I think the most important thing to remember here is NOT to stress about this. Getting recommendations from friends and other people you trust is a great first step. Some areas don't have as many options, but if you live in an area with a lot of options, then you also live in an area where you can switch if you find that you and the physician you chose are not on the same page after the baby is born. Things to consider include: credentials (are they board certified by an accredited and recognized board) and experience, but also logistics of the office: how accessible are they, how do you contact them after hours, do they take your insurance, what are their hours, and where are they located. I'd also pay attention to adjunctive services, such as lactation support and philosophy (on things like breastfeeding, etc), to make sure they align with your philosophies.

• @SunshineS Aww! It's so hard to see our little ones fuss with new people, and I think it can make many parents feel very guilty. A few things to keep in mind: a) As babies get older, they become less comfortable with unfamiliar people. In many cases, this starts around 9 months of age, and it is developmentally appropriate for your little one to be fussy with new people. It often peaks around 15-18 months and then starts to wane slowly. There is obviously also a personality piece to this, but almost all babies will go through this phase around this age b) our babies are savvy, and pick up on our own emotions, so if we're stressed and nervous that may heighten their feelings too. So in terms of practical things to do: where possible, try to do a gradual introduction, in small bursts, and with you or another familiar figure present. This isn't always possible, of course, but where possible it can be helpful. Do your best to keep things positive and light, and not to swoop in to "rescue" your child immediately. Provide something familar as a distraction tool - a favorite toy, or book, for example. And try to make sure your baby is as comfortable as possible - making a new introduction when they're hungry, or tired, can backfire, because they're already primed to be fussy. Hope these tips help!

• @Twin_mom19 As a general matter, you want to make sure your child is comfortable, hydrated, and resting if needed when they're recovering from an illness. But children are remarkable - they don't typically sit around feeling sorry for themselves when they are sick - as soon as they feel better, they are often out and about and playing, and encouraging this bouncing back is a good thing. Cold weather itself is unlikely to be a big deal if appropriately clothed/protected. In this case, however - if your child has an illness that is specifically worsened by cold weather, such as asthma or wheezing - this is a question to discuss with your pediatrician, because they may recommend holding off until the acute phase of illness is improving.

• @SRLP There is a lot going on here, and I cannot provide specific medical advice, of course. I notice the reference to a "lactose sensitivity" which would be quite unusual to develop at this age. Some children have a milk protein intolerance, but Enfamil sensitive would not be the right choice in this case. Truthfully, I would actually recommend reaching out to your pediatrician and having the child evaluated again -- on and off crying overnight, gas, etc might be related to constipation or formula intolerance, but many other conditions could cause that symptom profile.

• @taylorfrandsen The only way to really determine if a child is getting a sufficient amount from breastfeeding is to look at weight gain. Sometimes a lactation consultant can do a weight before and after a nursing session, but otherwise a weight trend will be a good indicator. IF you are concerned he isn't getting enough, this is a question your pediatrician or LC can help answer.

• @Debgarcia I recommend discontinuing the swaddle at either 8 weeks or once they are rolling, whichever comes earlier.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.