"Ask Me Anything" with Dr. Krupa Playforth, MD, FAAP

Comments

• Our 2 year old has a very hard time staying in her toddler bed at night. Her transition has been very disruptive to her overall sleep. How much sleep should she be getting at 26 months? What are some sleep training methods to help her stay in her bed? Bedtime can take as long as 3 hours some evenings. We generally put her back in bed with little interaction, other than to tell her it’s time to sleep. We generally wait outside her door and repeat this as necessary. She still uses a paci and is attached to her lovies as well, which can get in the way of bedtime if she loses track of one of them.

• Hi, thank you for your time in helping.

my 8 month old baby is having trouble staying asleep because of trapped wind. He wakes up every 1-2 hours at night with what I would describe as a stuck burp. Is there anything you could suggest that I do to help him?

• He’s never required a lot of sleep and only takes 1 nap a day (if that) and he’ll sleep anywhere from 5mins-45mins. But once he wakes up, he’s up. A lot of the time he doesn’t nap at all though. Ive been trying to get him on a better sleep schedule and im really having a hard time. He goes to bed about 4:30am-6:30am!!! and then sleeps until 3:00ish pm! If I put him to bed any earlier he will just cry and scream and stand up at the head of the crib and then fall onto his hands and crawl to the foot of the bed and then stand up and then turn around and fall onto his hands and crawl back to the head of the crib laughing but on the verge of crying. He will do this over and over if I’m in the room. And If I leave the room, he just cries and screams constantly. He doesn’t eventually fall asleep. He will cry until I come back in the room or until I take him out of his crib. Ive tried for 2 hours to get him to sleep. Its like his body is on a timer and he knows it’s not 4:30 yet. And in the days I try to get him in bed earlier, he always ends up finally falling asleep 1-2 hours later than 4:30! So there’s no point and im accomplishing nothing. He eats at 3:30, 8:00, 12:30 and then a cereal bottle right before bed. The cereal bottle does help him to go to sleep on time at 4:30am, at least for most days. This sleep schedule makes life very difficult tho. I feel like I’ve tried everything so I figured I’d ask what you would suggest.

also is the 5,10,15 min rule a good or bad thing to do? When he cries, let him cry for 5 mins, then check on him and then if he’s all good,(maybe give him a small bottle) say goodnight again and leave for 10mins. If he’s still crying, do a repeat check and leave again for 15mins. I do do that, so im wondering if it’s bad? I have a hard time just letting him cry for a longggg time, and he doesn’t “ tire himself out and eventually fall asleep”. He used to stay up until 6:30am to go to bed always, but I was able to work him (very slowly) to 4:30am now for the most part but it’s just not good enough. And it’s like he won’t budge now and go to bed ANY earlier.

thanks for any advice you can give.

• My 18 month old goes to sleep around 6:30/7pm and then wakes up around 5am sometimes and just lies there awake until we get her at 7am. She takes a nap during the day around 1pm, anywhere between 1-2 hours long. She’s very tired at night so I don’t think pushing her bedtime back will be helpful. Does she just not need sleep?

Also, she won’t let me brush her teeth anymore - if she does it, she just sucks on the toothbrush. I’m worried about tooth decay.

• I have a now 2 year old who I’m worried is becoming an entrenched picky eater.

she I just getting more and more stubborn about eating different foods.

can you recommend any books to help with this?

• Hi,

Our one year old has gotten into the habit of sleeping in bed with mum and dad rather than his own baby cot. He screams when we try to get him to sleep there. What methods can we use to revert him back to sleeping in his own bed?

Thanks

• Hi,

Our one year old is constantly wriggling around during the night and often gets up 2-3 times during the night. What could be causing this and what can we do to make sure he gets a full uninterrupted nights sleep?

thanks

jeff

• Hi,

Our one year old seems to be a fussy eater and often only has 2-3 spoonfuls of solids before he swipes the spoon away and doesn’t want anymore. How do we get our baby to eat more and increase his appetite? He seems to always want to revert to the bottle. We haves tried a variety of foods and sometimes giving him his favourites no longer works.

thanks

• Is it true that catching lots of colds as a baby helps develop their immune system?

My 9 month old started daycare two months ago, and since then it’s been a nonstop parade of illnesses. Mostly colds, with a nasty case of HFM disease in the mix. Would it be better for her to stay at home with a nanny, or would she be missing out on the immune development that comes with daycare?

• I have a 14 month old who loves drinking water from sippy cups, open cups, cups with straws but refuses to drink milk out of them. We have taken away the bottle and tried to replace the bottle with the cups as above but she declines drinking from them. She otherwise eats a good amount of yogurt and cheese. I was wondering if she really needs to have milk or just enough dairy products.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.