💬 "Ask Me Anything" with Dr. Krupa Playforth, MD, FAAP

NanitMelanie
NanitMelanie Nanit Team
edited August 25 in Growth & Milestones

Ask Dr. Krupa Playforth anything - from preparing for baby, questions to ask when selecting your pediatrician, nutritional guidance & introducing solids, teething, gassy baby tips, milestones & more! 

But keep in mind that all answers are general guidelines and not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your child's physician with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice because of something discussed here.

About Dr. Playforth (The Pediatrician Mom):

Dr. Playforth is a board-certified pediatrician and mother. She has special interests in healthcare education for parents and in infant/child nutrition, and she is passionate about approaching parenting with nuance. Her goal is to help parents develop the confidence to trust their intuitions within an evidence-based framework across a range of parenting topics. Dr. Playforth is on the Healthcare Advisory board for Babylist, has contributed to Huffington Post, CNN, NBC, KevinMD, and Insider Magazine, and is featured as a Top Doc for both Northern VA Magazine and the Washingtonian.

In today's connected, internet-dependent world, it is easy to become overwhelmed by information overload. You can use ThePediatricianMom to find some peace, some answers, and hopefully some confidence to trust your parenting style as she discusses the most common questions pediatricians receive from parents. She can be reached on social media (@thepediatricianmom) or on her website at www.thepediatricianmom.com.

** Bookmark this thread and receive a notification when the AMA begins.**

Click the bookmark icon on the right-hand side of the discussion.

Tagged:

Comments

• What are the best questions or things to consider when searching for a pediatrician? And how far in advance of baby's due date should you start looking? I have received a few recommendations from friends, but am lost on what I should be looking out for when finding the right fit for our family and baby!!

• Hi there. I have a 15 month old who moves his head side to side to self soothe to sleep and in the middle of the night as well. Lately he has been doing it for extended periods during night sleep. Sometimes over an hour. He does not cry out for us so we dont intervene until he does as it seems he is not "awake" while doing it. While im not concerned abt the actual act of head shaking. I am concerned abt the duration. Should we be worried. Is this normal?

• I have a 4 month old who is wanting to take 2 plus hour naps throughout the day but is not sleeping good through the night at all usually up 3 times through out the night.

Should I wake her from her naps? If so how long should I let her sleep before waking her?

• SunshineS
    SunshineS Member
    edited December 2021

Can you advise how should we get our child used to strange people? This is our first day using backup nanny care at home. Our child, a 9 month old boy cries all the time and is very fussy when he is with the nanny. Thanks!

• Hi there!

My daughter has always appeared to be low sleep needs, although I have always pushed and adhered towards the recommended wake windows/total sleep recommendations. However, now that she is 10 months, we have been experiencing (what we now know) is split nights; wherein my daughter will awake anywhere between 2-4am for an hour plus. Although she’s usually quiet/content, I would like to correct this. The trouble I’m having during my research is the debate between split nights being a result of being over vs under-tired. My daughter’s day sleep is within normal range, and her wake windows are 3.25/3.5/4. Putting her to bed later doesn’t seem to work, as she always wakes between 5:30-6am regardless. Would love some feedback! Thank you!

• cmg27
    cmg27 Member
    edited December 2021

Hi there! I have a 3 and a half month old. During the day she naps from around 35 to 45 mins which I know its normal at this age. However if she wakes up son after she has just been fed I'm often conflicted of what we should be doing next.? We usually aim to do eat, play sleep but in these cases it becomes play eat sleep and I'm wondering if this is OK? We take it a day at a time and try to follow baby's cues as much as possible but some days it's just hard. She sleeps well though the night and wakes up a couple of times starting at 3 am because she just wants her paci - once we pop it back in she goes back to sleep and wakes up around 7-7:30 am. Any tips on babies that are catnapper and what to do?

Thank you!

• mae2021
    mae2021 Member
    edited December 2021

I’m concerned that my 8 month old is not getting enough breast milk. I’ve been producing a lot less when I pump now (presumably because I skip nighttime pumping now that he’s been sleeping through the night), and I’ve noticed that his poops look indicative of constipation. He refuses formula from a bottle so I don’t know how else to get more milk into his diet. I don’t believe he’s getting anywhere near 20oz a day of milk. Any suggestions?

• Hi there - I have a 15month old son who seems to always have a cough. It gets better but never goes away completely - should I be worried?

• Self conscious about my hair loss/hair line due to postpartum hair loss. Is it safe to take collagen power if breastfeeding? If so, do you recommend a certain kind/brand? I also bought baby blues postpartum hair loss vitamins but is it okay to take if I’m still taking my post natal multi vitamin? 

thank you,

julie

• Is it bad for kids to play outside when the weather is cold if they are getting over a cold and respiratory symptoms. Such as they have been on medicine for a couple days: (Steroid RX, amoxicillin for ear infection and Albuterol). They are feeling better but still on the medicine and have milder symptoms.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.