Self soothing - CIO?

My 5 month old has been sleeping through the night since 3 months.. but putting him to sleep is a struggle. How long do you let them cry it out.

Comments

• mine cried for about 1hr15 min before finally sleeping. At 4 months. It happened at least twice (both for naps, those were BRUTAL)

every baby is different, I would go with what you and your LO are comfortable with, always check with your Pediatrician if he green lights sleep training. And make sure all other factors are clear (Moro reflex under control, feed, dark room, right temp…). I used the Nanit’s breathing wear and it was very reassuring to know he was ok in there.

you can stay in the room, just make sure he doesn’t see you (or light from phone) and just let him cry it out. His voice might get horse, but it’s temporary

good luck mama,

• I’m having the same issue. He was sleeping through the night from 3 months to 7 months. Then around 7.5 months he started sitting, crawling, and climbing. Lots of new skills. Now he wakes 1-2 times a night and now he is 8 months and a week. I usually nurse him to bed and also got naps. I hate the hoarse voice he gets after 10 minutes of crying. So I just give in… I know he needs to learn to fall asleep independently but how do I teach him to self sooth?

• Babies cannot actually “self-soothe”, this is a myth. Crying it out does not actually teach any soothing skills, it is simply a behavioral intervention, more specifically an extinction procedure, to decrease crying by not reinforcing it with attention. All it does is teaches baby that when they cry at night, no one will come, therefore decreasing the crying behavior (which keep in mind is babies only way of communicating). If it were normal for all babies to sleep through the night, we would not need sleep training. Every baby is different and night wakings are developmentally normal..all babies wake in the night, the difference is that some cry/signal and some do not. I recommend heysleepybaby on Instagram..her highlights are super helpful and actually realistic if you are not interested in sleep training. If you are, I’ve heard that people love taking cara babies.

• NanitMackenzie
    NanitMackenzie Community Moderator, Nanit Team

Hi all - I wanted to share a comment that our sleep expert Natalie just shared today in response to a related question about sleep training and letting baby cry: https://community.nanit.com/discussion/comment/3011#Comment_3011. As Natalie mentioned, there are a number

There are a number of different methods and tips to help with your baby's sleep (and yours!), and one that works with one family may not work for another. If you aren't sure what's right for you, talking to your pediatrician and referring to research from sleep experts (here in the Nanit community or on other platforms) is always a great option as well!