When do you make time?

KbM
KbM Member

Good morning mamas!

i feel like my children are a bit older than perhaps most in this community...but “me time” is something I really struggled with. I didn’t think I needed it. I was wrong!

Now that i have it, my mental and physical state is so much stronger. Parenthood is a tremendous undertaking, we deserve to be at our best trying to get through it!

so...what do you do to keep yourself balanced?

I have introduced independent play time. My children are 2 and 4 so it’s a different ballgame than a newborn. But - they know the rules. After dinner, they are to play independently, (defined as not reliant on a parent) until im able to get the kitchen clean. I know cleaning the kitchen doesn’t sound like me time...but not having to go back to a dirty kitchen after they go to bed makes all the difference!

Comments

• Jane
    Jane Member

I'm patiently (not that patiently) waiting for independent playtime! My little guy is 11 months old and learning to stand/walk, so I'm constantly supporting him / he is extremely clingy right now. There's no time to do anything around the house, and I have no energy by the end of the day, because I just want to enjoy the quietness and not having my little human glued to me!

I do enjoy cleaning and working through a checklist, so I try to focus on that when I have the time. Besides that, I recently started going for regular massage and acupuncture treatments as my me time. It's so, so nice to be away from the kiddo/the house, get outside to a safe space, and just relax for the hour!

• Chris
    Chris Member

Our son is only 11 weeks old but I try to get him washed and dressed for the day before I head off to work whilst my wife has a shower / eats some breakfast and gets ready for the day. It's not a big thing but It is one less challenge for her to eat and get showered whilst caring for him.

I also take him swimming once a week which gives her 1-2 hours at home alone to do whatever she wants, be it time for her or just some time to get some jobs done around the house.

We are also trying to get him used to bottle feeding so that she can leave him for more than a few hours at a time or I can take him out for an afternoon to give her a break.

• Karianne
    Karianne Member

My son is 10 months old. I get my me time during nap time and after he goes to bed at night. My me time right now is sewing! On Tuesdays I get an hour and a half for my mental well being where my husband takes our son so I can attend counseling and Sunday mornings I get to sleep in while my husband gets our boy up and feeds him.

Something I have been feeling lately is that I don't think I get enough time just to myself and I am trying to figure out how to get more of that time. Though I feel guilty having to ask for some time or for some help with my son since I am a stay at home mom and it's my job to do it.

• LeahSimon
    LeahSimon Member

I have a 2yo and 11mo. My me-time isn’t until after they go to bed for about an hour until I go to bed. I sometimes watch tv with hubby or I do some self-care home spa stuff (foot spa, face masks, hair masks). I work so if I get any me time during the day it’s usually running to Target or the grocery store solo lol.