How to teach baby to sleep on their own

Hi, my son is 11 month old and he absolutely needs the bottle to fall asleep. When we remove the bottle, he would cry for 1.5h until we give him the bottle again to fall asleep on the bottle. I tried singing sons, playing lullaby, read a book, take him in my arms, give him a pacifier, give him a teddy bear but nothing works. Any suggestions how to teach him how to sleep by himself?

Comments

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Lilyiies It sounds like your son has a strong sleep association with the bottle! As Im sure your pediatrician has mentioned to you, we really dont want him falling asleep with milk in his mouth and on his teeth since the sugar in milk can cause cavities. A couple of things to try - you can try gradually watering down the milk so that he eventually is falling asleep with water in the bottle instead of milk. The other thing to try is to try (in conjunction with the first tip) pulling the bottle out of his mouth right before he falls asleep, so that he gets used to actually falling asleep without it in his mouth. You can gradually pull it out earlier so that after a week or so he is hopefully able to just go down without it.