My son fractured his leg and now only wants to sleep with me

Hi! My son is 11 months about to be 12 months next week and he just fractured his leg the other day after a fall from walking. Now, understandably, he only wants to sleep with me and stay on my breast the whole day and night. I slept trained him a while ago so he’s pretty much a pro at falling asleep by himself but I’ve had to feed him/sing him/rock him to sleep and when I try to put him in his crib he immediately wakes up because he only wants me. Usually I would put him in his crib and let him figure it out (as per the sleep training) but he would usually crawl around his crib or stand or roll around but I’m worried about his leg/cast. I would just keep him in my bed but I’m afraid he would roll off. I need to do things while he sleeps and it’s safer to keep him in his crib. Thoughts??? Thanks!!!

Answers

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@MamaS99 The poor little thing! This is a tough situation for sure. I would suggest to keep doing what you are doing for another week or so while he is healing, but after that you may need to re-sleep train. I think doing it while the cast is on is totally fine, since when he is just out of the cast you might be more worried about the leg being more sensitive. The cast gives you some assurance that the leg is protected. Alternatively, you can wait for another 6 weeks or so until the cast is off and the leg has had a good chance to build up strength and re-sleep train at that point. It all depends on your tolerance and threshold -and, of course, having him in a safe sleep space is the priority!