How to deal with sleep routine changes at daycare

My almost 11 months old is on a 2 nap schedule (9 to 10:30 am and 2 to 3:30pm). She has been doing this routine for the past 3 months and loves it . She just started daycare and they only do one nap 12-2:30pm. They said they would accommodate her schedule which they did for about 2 weeks but now are shifting her to their schedule , they believe she still needs the 2 nap so they end up napping her from 7:30 to 8:30 then from 12 to 2:30.

she responded well to the change but it meant we had to change to earlier bedtime (now 6pm instead of 7pm) and also early wake up (now 5am instead of 6am) .

I don’t agree with their logic and just hate dealing with the 5am wake ups .

any advice on how to move forward ?

Answers

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Nova2020 Ugh! Daycare schedules can be really tough!

Is she taking that 7.30am nap at home or at daycare? If at home, I wonder if it might be better to try to lengthen the night and give her the chance to get back to sleep at 5am? It might take her a few days to get used to going back to sleep, but I bet she will do it if you give her the chance (it might take 30 mins or more to get back to sleep in the early hours of the morning).

Honestly though, you can probably push her to one nap for daycare days and keep her on two naps for weekend days for the next couple of months, until she is really ready for one nap.

Even if she is really tired after daycare and going to bed at 6pm, Id still like to keep her in the crib for 12 hours and keep the wake up time as consistent as we can.