Early waking help

Hello,

my 8 month old has been waking up between 5:00 & 5:30am for the past 6 weeks or so, with the occasional 6:15am wake up. I’ve got white noise, good shutters to keep light out (sunrise is 6:20am right now anyway), have moved his bedtime 30 min earlier for the past 2 weeks and have tried to push his first nap to at least 8:00am, sometimes 8:30am for the past 2 weeks. I’ve also been trying to give him lots of exercise and play to burn energy. Any other suggestions? He naps about 3-3 1/2 hrs per day. A consistent wake up past 6:15am would be amazing. Thanks!

Comments

• Same! My almost 7 month old wakes at 5 or 5:30a (this am was 4:55!). She goes to bed at 6:30p and we’ve tried adjusting the routine but she only ends up fussy in the bath or cranky when we read a book. She wants to be put in bed at 6:30. She technically gets enough sleep and does sleep through the night so I am grateful for that, but 5a is before sunrise and definitely not within my wake window.

• I had this problem, I got professional advice and the thing for me was increasing the milk intake during the day… aiming for a milk feed on waking in the morning, 10am, 2pm and 6pm or there abouts. (My baby is 21lbs and needed at least 23oz to sleep through the night, and luckily he takes about 29/30 on average a day now) obviously if your breast feeding, don’t worry about the numbers as you won’t ever know, just go by them and make sure your offering lots)

another thing to note is that babies are aware that when they wake up, the fun begins, so if he or she is waking up at 5/5:30, don’t do any fun things until they’ve at least had their milk. Also if you can, keep baby in the cot until they aren’t happy anymore. The longer they realise it’s still night time and it’s not time to get up, the chances are they may go back to sleep within 15/20 mins.

I’d also recommend getting a proper baby black out blind behind your shutters, I used to have shutters in a bedroom and found quite a lots of light leakage and babies are sooo sensitive to the tiniest bit of light (get one of the ones where you cut to size and stick Velcro tape around the window frame)

These are all what I did and they made a massive, pretty much instant improvement.