3 Month Old Routine

Kylie
Kylie Member

Hi, All!

First time Mom here and having major struggles with nailing down a solid routine. I’ve followed taking cara babies wake windows and other sleep tips. I’ve taken both her newborn and 3-4 month old classes. My little one has a hard time going down at night at a consistent time as her nap times vary. For example, her day could look like this:

8:00 am Wake

9:15 am -10:00am Nap #1

11:30-12:00 Nap #2

1:30-2:15 Nap #3

3:30-4:20 Nap #4

5:35-6:00 Nap #5

7:30 Bedtime

Maybe the next day she wakes at 7:30 am and it throws off her nap times. Her naps are also very short and have been since about month 2 on. Since her naps vary so much we can’t get her to bed at a consistent time and I think it effects her sleep. She almost always wakes up 45 minutes after going down to bed. Like a false start.

We keep her awake for 75-90 mins before bed and have a consistent bedtime routine of bath, lotion, pajamas, bottle, bed. What am I missing?

Comments

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

Hi @Kylie Have you had a chance to check out our sleep schedule generator? This will provide you a sleep schedule for your baby's age.

I'm also tagging our in house sleep expert, @Natalie_Barnett_PhD here because I am sure she has some insight she can share, too!

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

Hey @Kylie it actually sounds really normal to me. It can be really hard for a lot of babies to be on much of a chedule at this age, so the fact that you have a pretty consistent schedule is amazing! You will get more consistency with time. I know it can be frustrating when the naps vary in length so much, but its very much par for the course at this stage. I'd suggest sticking to your wake window plan and then you will likely find that some days are 4 nap days and some are 5 nap days, and the bedtime might vary a bit. Pretty soon you will be fairly consistently on 3 naps, which should happen fairly naturally in the next month or so!