💬 "Ask Me Anything" about Daylight Savings: Spring forward and your baby's sleep with Dr. Barnett

Comments

• Help! My son is 9 months old and had been sleeping through the night from 2 weeks old. He slept in a snoo until 5 months and then we did sleep and nap training when he moved into his crib in his own room at 5 months. He falls asleep for both naps and at night on his own. This past MONTH he has been waking early in the morning, between 4-6am, everyday. He has also had a few night wakings! He naps 2x a day usually 1hr15-2 hours each (no more). He is awake 3-3.5 hrs before bed. He is often standing now when he wakes at these times. If we go in we lay him back down and give soother and he falls back asleep, though sometimes we have to do this a number of times. How can we stop the early morning wakings and how will DST ffect this?

• mmski89
    mmski89 Member

My 8 month old is currently waking up at 6a and based on timing we always have to put him down early, at 6p or 6:15p. Should we do NOTHING and hope he adjusts to the ideal 7-7 schedule?

• My baby stared falling asleep at 12am and wakes up at 6:00am.. For two days in a row, I stared giving him a warm bath everyday at 9:30pm or 10:00pm he’s been gassy crying and colic so I give him mylicon probiotics and it’s been helpful he’s 15.10oz and 3 months

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

Hey @Ciara_G_85 - It's really normal for a 3 month old to still have inconsistent naps. I know it can be frustrating but the naps will come! You have done such an amazing job of nights that I'm very sure the naps will follow when developmentally appropriate! By four months, most babies have established a fairly consistent 9am-ish nap and around that time you can gently guide her to a 3 nap schedule but it might be closer to 5 months before she is well established on that 3 nap schedule. Hang in there mom, you are doing an AMAZING job!

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

Hi @mrsmcdougall - I wouldn't do anything differently. It sounds like your baby is sleeping great which is fantastic! They might go to bed a little later in the evening and wake a little later in the morning but he is so little, I wouldn't worry too much about doing anything, you have enough to worry about! 😄

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

Hi @I_Olivero - I suspect we need to adjust their nap timing. They might not be tired enough going to bed at the beginning of the night. I know its hard to do but I'd suggest cutting back the nap to 1.5 hours max to start (maybe even cut it back further if needed) and see how that goes. They probably need to be up for 5-6 hours before bed, so make sure the nap is not too late. Hopefully the daylight savings change will help a little with the early morning wakings!

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

Hey @Nadelz09 - Great question! Most babies transition to one nap around 13-17 months.

As you get ready to transition, I prefer to have a shorter morning nap and longer afternoon nap if possible. Then you can try experimenting with one nap-say one weekend, try pushing to to go to 11 or 11.30am for his nap and see if he can then go through the rest of the day without a nap (and get him to bed early). Then as he masters that, you might see that some days are definite two naps days and some days are one nap days.

The transition should only take a couple of weeks and honestly, as hard as it is to give up two naps, it just makes the day far more consistent when he is consistently taking one nap at the same time each day.

It sounds like he's not quite ready to transition to one nap but he's getting there! Good luck!

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

Hi @MrsRaeFlowe - You aren't doing anything wrong! You are amazing!

Check out the sleep schedule generator to make sure we have the timing right - Baby Sleep Schedule Generator. Make sure she is getting three good solid meals a day and then I'd love her to have the chance to fall asleep by herself at the beginning of the night. If she needs the paci, I suggest putting several of them in one corner so she can work out for herself how to get them in the middle of the night. It's frustrating for her if she needs something she cant get for herself.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

Hi @MummyMoore - I'm sorry to hear! It can become a vicious cycle if he's feeding at night then not so hungry during the day, then he's going to be hungry at night!

I'd suggest gradually increasing his daytime oz and gradually decreasing his nighttime oz. Can you bottle feed him during the night so you can see exactly what he's drinking and systematically cut down those oz? It sounds like he's genuinely hungry and we just need to gradually shift those night oz to be during the day. Take a look at the sleep schedule generator for a guide on feeding and sleeping times here - Baby Sleep Schedule Generator.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

Hi @MariaP - Great question! I suggest recreating your home environment as best you can. This is the reason that I suggest a dark room and a white noise machine - you can very easily make the new room dark (with black garbage bags on the windows) and take your white noise with you (if you are taking your Nanit camera with you, you can use the camera's white noise) and your baby should feel like they are at home!

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.