"Ask Me Anything" about Daylight Savings: Spring forward and your baby's sleep with Dr. Barnett

NanitMelanie
NanitMelanie Nanit Team
edited March 16 in Routines

Get ready for daylight savings on March 13th. Ask Dr. Natalie Barnett Anything about preparing your babies and toddlers for daylight savings!

How does an Ask Me Anything work?

Post your question on this thread between March 7th and 8th for Dr. Natalie Barnett to answer. Dr. Barnett will answer be answering the questions directly on the thread and you can follow up to see you responses.

We encourage you to "bookmark" the thread so you are alerted when there is new content on this specific thread!

Anonymous questions:

Do you have a question but want to ask it anonymously? You can DM @NanitMackenzie or @NanitJessica and we will post on your behalf!

*Dr. Barnett will attempt to answer as many questions as possible, but due to volume she may not be able to answer each question individually.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello, my daughter (6mo) has been waking up at 5:43am for 2 weeks now. Prior to this, her awake time was 7:30, and it gradually became 6:30, and now even earlier.

What would you recommend we do, regarding Daylight Savings with her current wake time?

We follow her wake windows (2.5-3hrs), have a set bedtime routine, and she falls asleep independently most of the time. Even thought she has slept through the night, she does wake up 1 time.

Thank you kindly!

• Maram
    Maram Member

Hello, my daughter is 4 months old and she’s feeding every 3 hours during the day and at night. When and how can I stop the night feedings so she can sleep through the night?

• Campodesuenos
    Campodesuenos Member
    edited March 7

Hello Dr. Barnett,

Do we start transitioning to a earlier bedtime - earlier wake time ahead of the time change or do we just wait until the change happens?

She has been waking earlier lately (I think it’s tied to teething she has all four molars and a canine coming in all at once 😥) I’m worried that with the time change we’ll be up at 3-4am. She is a year old.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

• Tips for helping kids transition for daylight savings!

My plan is to wake them up 10 mins earlier starting today and have them go to bed 10 mins earlier, starting today (Monday). 6 days before- 60 mins earlier to match the time change. They’re whole schedule is changing 10 mins early per day (e.g., naps, lunch time, etc).

• NaliniB
    NaliniB Member

Our daughter is 14 months old and was born at 35 weeks. She was perfect at birth, only had to fatten her up by a 1/2 pound in the NICU (no IV or anything else, just food). At 10 weeks she slept 7.5 hours through the night. She has been an excellent sleeper always. We are having a hard time with getting her to sleep at night now. It sometimes takes up to an hour and used to be 15 minutes or less. She doesn’t cry or complain, just sits and plays with her pacifier and lovey. We are still doing 2 naps per day most of the time because she gets tired and I don’t want her to be lacking any sleep. The naps are getting shorter so we need to figure out to transition to one longer one also!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

• Cardan5
    Cardan5 Member

How much is daylight savings time going to effect a 1 month old infant?

• Hello,

My recent 3MO already struggles with naps during the day, and we’re just starting to potentially get into a routine. Nighttime is pretty consistent w/ an 8:00 bedtime and his morning wake up between 6 and 7 AM. Any insight to help with the naps or longer sleep periods (he’s between 3-4 hrs before a feeding at night) is appreciated. FT mom trying to get ahead of the time change. Thanks!

• My almost 2 month old is mostly sleeping through the night (bedtime between 8 & 9) and waking at 4/4:30 for a feed before up for the day around 7:30. How much is daylight savings going to impact him & how can we prepare to cope with it?

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.