Breastfeeding

I just stopped breastfeeding my 16months old baby and I’ve been feeling so depressed and guilty ever since I cry every night is it normal my baby has done so good never cried or anything so I’m guessing he was ready but I feel like Maybe I wasn’t and that’s why I feel guilty I only stopped because he was starting to want the boob every 5 minutes and it was frustrating and making me lose my patience so I thought it would of been best if I stopped but now I regret it but it’s been 6 days already since we stopped completely I just want to know if this feeling is normal…

Best Answer

• drtracyd
    drtracyd Member, Expert
    Answer ✓

@Liamsmommy You have just undergone a huge transition in your journey as a parent. It would make sense to feel sad and guilty. To the guilty part that is showing up: It sounds like you needed to make this decision for your bond with your baby - so that you would not get frustrated and lose your patience "every 5 minutes." What a brave choice to make. It can be helpful to acknowledge the guilt and also recognize the decision that you get to make. "I feel guilty for stopping AND I am choosing this for us." Be kind to yourself - this is a big change and often one of grief. That being said, when we stop nursing, there is a hormonal shift that takes place. One would expect a shift in mood and tearfulness after stopping completely. If you notice that your feelings of depression, crying, and guilt persist, please reach out to your primary health care provider to talk about this.

Answers

• drtracyd
    drtracyd Member, Expert
    Answer ✓

@Liamsmommy You have just undergone a huge transition in your journey as a parent. It would make sense to feel sad and guilty. To the guilty part that is showing up: It sounds like you needed to make this decision for your bond with your baby - so that you would not get frustrated and lose your patience "every 5 minutes." What a brave choice to make. It can be helpful to acknowledge the guilt and also recognize the decision that you get to make. "I feel guilty for stopping AND I am choosing this for us." Be kind to yourself - this is a big change and often one of grief. That being said, when we stop nursing, there is a hormonal shift that takes place. One would expect a shift in mood and tearfulness after stopping completely. If you notice that your feelings of depression, crying, and guilt persist, please reach out to your primary health care provider to talk about this.