How does one go about being a clinical psychologist

I'm based in the UK and I guess you are American but what is the part of the process and how does one decide to narrow/pick what path to take from there...e.g clinical psych, forensic psych, etc. Thanks

Best Answer

• drtracyd
    drtracyd Member, Expert
    Answer ✓

@Greengiant I recommend that you start with your envisioned goal in your career. Do you wish to provide only therapy? (This does not require a PhD in clinical psychology). Would you like to do psychological assessments and diagnoses? (In Canada, this does require a PhD). Do you want to teach in academia or do research? Once you have your end goal, now look at the types of training to get you there. For those who want to focus only on therapy, they may choose a Master's in Counselling program. In these graduate programs, look to see what specific paths they offer. Different offerings you may look for include: forensic, child, or adult. For many programs, you choose specific training for couples and family once you have your more "generalist" training as a psychologist and/or therapist. I recommend reaching out to a psychologist in your country and researching their qualifications and training to find out more.

Answers

• drtracyd
    drtracyd Member, Expert
    Answer ✓

@Greengiant I recommend that you start with your envisioned goal in your career. Do you wish to provide only therapy? (This does not require a PhD in clinical psychology). Would you like to do psychological assessments and diagnoses? (In Canada, this does require a PhD). Do you want to teach in academia or do research? Once you have your end goal, now look at the types of training to get you there. For those who want to focus only on therapy, they may choose a Master's in Counselling program. In these graduate programs, look to see what specific paths they offer. Different offerings you may look for include: forensic, child, or adult. For many programs, you choose specific training for couples and family once you have your more "generalist" training as a psychologist and/or therapist. I recommend reaching out to a psychologist in your country and researching their qualifications and training to find out more.