Postpartum Weight Loss

It’s been 8 months since I had my first baby. I exclusively breastfed for the first 6 months and then started to introduce formula. I still pump three times a day because I keep producing milk. I lost weight within minutes of giving birth but since then, I haven’t been able to lose a pound. I haven’t been overeating and either run or walk a couple miles a week. My weight won’t change. I’ve never been this heavy before getting pregnant. Will I be able to lose this weight or am I being naive in thinking once I finally stop pumping, I will be able to lose a couple pounds.

Answers

• dralicepsyd
    dralicepsyd Member, Expert

@Kaylene Pregnancy and postpartum is a time where many women's bodies retain excess body fat, and breastfeeding or pumping often don't result in weight loss (common misconception!). Sleep also impacts fat retention, and the first year post birth is full of many sleepless nights and sleep disruptions. When sleep is disrupted so abruptly and frequently, so are your hunger hormones leptin and ghrelin. Couple that with nursing or pumping and you have yourself the perfect mix for weight retention or weight gain. Nursing and/or pumping is A TON of work, and with your body expending lots of energy to produce milk, it makes sense that often times, your appetite will also increase to help you maintain energy. Basically, there is a lot happening when you're breastfeeding. Some women observe a noticeable change in their appetite, improved mood, and more energy after they stop breastfeeding/pumping - you might!