PPD or not?

I am not feeling anxious or depressed at all, instead I feel so angry and so much rage. Is this ppd?

Answers

• I have also during postpartum been experiencing rage like never before. I sometimes go out to my car and slam my door over and over. This is the only thing I can think of doing physically to release the anger that won’t cause damage or harm. My neighbors probably think I’m crazy!

When talking with my GP she said that anger is a secondary emotion that is ignited by depression and usually rooted in deeper underlying feelings of stress, loneliness, being overwhelmed or not supported. This made a lot of sense to me, hope it helps you navigate all of the intense feelings

• dralicepsyd
    dralicepsyd Member, Expert

@Abvhe @Rishikat0311 Anger/rage can certainly be indicative of PPD alongside some additional symptoms such as low energy, crying spells, loss of interest in former activities that were once exciting/enjoyable, restlessness, difficulty bonding with or feeling connected to baby, intrusive thoughts, and several others. It's important to get yourself some help or support if anger episodes become unmangeable - therapy is a great option to work through the emotions that generally hide behind anger.

I'd also like to invite you to check out my workbook Visible Motherhood. It's a step-by-step workbook for building your confidene and understanding your mental health as a mother. I think you'd enjoy it and learn a lot from it. It also has a really thorough postpartum depression symptom checklist as well as a postpartum anxiety symptom checklist. You can find it here: learn.dralicepsyd.com/