Should I take additional vitamins?

Hello,

I am currently taking Zoloft 50mg for PPD. Would it be beneficial to add Vitamin D and/or B12 to help with mood and energy? Should I switch to a different antidepressant?

I still feel like some days are harder than others. I am a stay at home mom. I put my career on hold to be with my kids while they are young. Now, I often contemplate whether that was a good idea or not. I am taking Covid very seriously and rarely go out. Staying home and dealing with two kids (2.5 years old and 7 months old) at home all day is exhausting. We have a good routine but I never have alone time. My husband works full time. The kids’ naps never line up so all day I’m always tending to someone.

By the time my husband comes home from work, I am so burnt out. He takes the kids for me and gets them ready for bed so I can relax for a little bit.

I think the most challenging thing for me right now is getting through Covid and the winter weather. I try to bundle the kids up and take them out on walks but we can take so many walks a day. I have have my mother and mother in law who can help but they are both in their late 70’s. I try to do mini workouts with the kids to help my mood and energy.

Should I switch my medications or are there any vitamins to help my mood and energy?

Thank you for taking the time to respond. Thank you for raising awareness on maternal mental health.

Answers

• dralicepsyd
    dralicepsyd Member, Expert

@Ineedsleep0808 I'm not sure how long you've been on Zoloft, but it generally takes about 4-6 weeks for a medication to begin working. If you've been on it for a long period of time and don't observe any improvements in your mood and overall well-being, I encourage you to have a candid conversation about it with your prescribing provider. 50mg is common starting dose, so an increase in dose may be indicated, or perhaps a different medication all together.

Adding Vitamin D supplementation alongside your medication may be helpful if there is a deficiency. Vitamin D has psychological benefits such as regulating mood. It aids in the release of serotonin, often referred to as the happiness hormone (in conjunction with dopamine). Serotonin also helps to alleviate anxiety. Many individuals in the U.S. have insufficient levels of Vitamin D, and Vitamin D deficiency has also been linked to depression. Vitamin D is also harder to come by in the winter months as we spend more time in doors + couple that with covid and I doubt many of us are getting out much. Eating foods like almonds, avocados, spinach, bananas - all of which have magnesium, zinc, and vitamin b-6, can also be helpful. If you're looking for great pregnancy and postpartum supplements, I use Binto's women's supplements - have been for over 1.5 years. Use code DRALICE for 20% off your order.

Also, it sounds like this has been a tremendous adjustment for you and there is a lot to sort through emotionally. If you aren't already seeing a therapist, I'd encourage you to do so! It's a great space to be able to bring all of the things that are coming up for you and work through them.