How can I continue to breastfeed my 6 month old if she gets too distracted to eat?

I struggle keeping my 6mo old focused to eat. Instead she will feed for a few minutes and decide she’s done. I worry my supply is dropping because she’s more interested in every sound and light and person around, so I’ve had to start pumping more. I’m stressed she’s not getting enough milk from me and the people who watch her end up giving her more milk than I’m pumping when i pump on those days (they are feeding 4-5oz and I’m only pumping 3-4, and only 2.5 in the evenings). I’m probably too obsessed with ounces but I’m worried I won’t be able to keep up but so far she doesn’t seem to mind or be any more hungry. It’s so stressful not knowing exactly how much they are eating when your breastfeeding.

Answers

• DrMonicaOrdway
    DrMonicaOrdway Member, Expert

@Jjpuck56 This is a common worry among new parents. By the time your baby is 3-4 months of age, your breastmilk is well established. At 6 months of age, it would typically take quite awhile to reduce your production. Babies are usually good at regulating the amount of breastmilk they need and become very efficient at getting the milk they need in a shorter breastfeed. Check with your baby's pediatric provider to be sure she is growing well and then give yourself a good pat on the back for doing a tremendous job!

• Thank you so much!!