How to teach 6 month old to self sooth

My 6 month old cries hysterically if I put him down awake. I feel like I’ve tried everything and I can’t help him even relax to the point where he can self sooth. I’ve tried to let him cry it out and he gets so upset he just vomits. He will only calm down and sleep if I rock him to sleep. He sleeps in about 4 hour increments. Help!

Best Answer

• DrMonicaOrdway
    DrMonicaOrdway Member, Expert
    Answer ✓

@Jennstyle03 If you have not tried gradual extinction then it may be a good solution. Start with a bedtime routine that includes 4-5 bedtime routine activities that last a total of 20-30 minutes each night and are consistently performed. Develop a mantra like "good night, I love you, I will see you in the morning" and repeat that phrase each night before leaving the room. If/when he beings to cry, wait 10 minutes before going in then calmly and quietly go to his crib and repeat the mantra in the same tone and with the same calming affect. Leave the room and wait 15 minutes before returning to say your mantra with the same loving, but firm and calm tone. Repeat this process, adding 5 minutes between each time period you go to his room. Babies do not understand time, but the consistent bedtime routine that includes hearing your voice with the same words repeated can provide predictability and comfort. This process allows babies to gradually learn to fall asleep independently while at the same time feel the comfort that you are not far away.

Answers

• DrMonicaOrdway
    DrMonicaOrdway Member, Expert
    Answer ✓

@Jennstyle03 If you have not tried gradual extinction then it may be a good solution. Start with a bedtime routine that includes 4-5 bedtime routine activities that last a total of 20-30 minutes each night and are consistently performed. Develop a mantra like "good night, I love you, I will see you in the morning" and repeat that phrase each night before leaving the room. If/when he beings to cry, wait 10 minutes before going in then calmly and quietly go to his crib and repeat the mantra in the same tone and with the same calming affect. Leave the room and wait 15 minutes before returning to say your mantra with the same loving, but firm and calm tone. Repeat this process, adding 5 minutes between each time period you go to his room. Babies do not understand time, but the consistent bedtime routine that includes hearing your voice with the same words repeated can provide predictability and comfort. This process allows babies to gradually learn to fall asleep independently while at the same time feel the comfort that you are not far away.