"Ask Me Anything" about Feeding & Sleep with Dr. Monica Ordway

Comments

• My 10 month old has had gastric issues since she was born, she is incredibly gassy. Our doctor told us to use mylicon to help ease her gas. It doesn’t really seem to help. She often has painful gas which wakes her up at night. Her formula is Kendamil. My question is at what point can we get a better idea about her gastrointestinal issues should we be pushing for some sort of testing?

• seskenasy
    seskenasy Member
    edited December 2021

My 12 month old usually drinks 28-30oz of milk a day (half breast milk half formula) and is eating 3 meals. Lately she does not want to drink as much milk and I’m wondering what an appropriate milk to solids ratio is. Is she weaning herself from the bottle? Or do I need to decrease food intake? Thank you

• My daughter used to sleep through the night consistently. Then the 10 month sleep regression has hit us pretty hard. At 12 months she is still not sleeping through the night again. I do not want to resort to feeding her as I don’t believe she is waking up due to hunger. Any tips on how to get her sleeping through the night again? Thank you!

• My 5mo was approved to start solid foods by his pediatrician. We have been giving him formula and breastmilk plus pureed bananas, green beans, butternut squash, etc. He loves it, but he started to get constipated when we were giving him 3 feedings a day of food in addition to formula. We reverted back to just formula for a couple days and he became more regular. What can I do to continue with transitioning to solids without getting constipated?

• NanitMackenzie
    NanitMackenzie Community Moderator, Nanit Team
    edited December 2021

Hi all,

Thank you for joining our Ask Me Anything with Dr. Monica Ordway! She will be reviewing your questions over the next few days and will reply to as many as possible beginning Monday, December 27th.

Happy Holidays!

• We have both naptime and bedtime routines. Despite this, my 22 month old often will fight naps and bedtime. We let him roll around, sit, stand and bounce in the crib He is not upset and we don’t go in to soothe him For naps, sometimes it takes up to an hour before he falls asleep, sometimes it is a no nap day For bedtime it is the same thing but eventually he falls asleep Once he is sleeping, he will take at least a 1.5 hour nap or sleep through the night (10+ hours). He has been doing this since sleep training at 6 months. How can we get him to fall asleep quicker?

• My week shy of a 5mo, is teething and has been going through a sleep regression since 3 months. If I am to be honest he has never been a great sleeper despite a bedtime and nap routine. He wakes nearly every 30 minutes during naps and at nap his longest stretch is 2.5 hours. When putting to bed he wakes 30-45 after we leave the room. I have a routine of changing/ bathing, feeding, burping, reading a story and saying prayers. Sometimes he falls asleep on his own in the bassinet but mostly it’s me hold and rock to sleep. He constantly wakes for feedings he doesn’t always need.

Nap time is a joke. Sometimes he goes right to sleep sometimes it’s me or my mother rocking ( I am back to work and she stays with him. I work from home). I try to have a regular feeding routine but depending on my meetings it can vary slightly.

It seems like he just can’t get into a rhythm of sleeping. He needs the hear a heart beat. He wakes so many times while sleeping, constantly looking to hear and feel someone. He won’t stay in his bassinet for very long for the above reasons. We co-sleep which means no sleep for me as I prop myself up or I am in a crazy c position. He can also go the long hall when he comes to crying. He will go for a long time causing himself to throw up he’s so upset. I simply can’t stand to hear him cry like that for that long.

Please help!

• DrMonicaOrdway
    DrMonicaOrdway Member, Expert
    edited March 23

@monit These first few months are certainly exhausting. As you alluded to, breastmilk is metabolized quicker than formula and during the early months this commonly results in frequent breastfeedings relative to the number of formula feedings. In about another 6-8 weeks your baby will begin to develop a circadian rhythm and regular sleep stages. Babies begin to consolidate more of their sleep at night around 4 months of age. Until this important developmental stage, it is important to avoid sleep training. That said, developing a routine that includes 4-5 quiet steps, lasting 20-30 minutes with consistency each night is great to practice as early as possible.

• DrMonicaOrdway

@MAZ A balance is best here, but I would emphasize a good bedtime routine as the most critical factor in developing good sleep hygiene. The key to a bedtime routine is consistency. It is never too young to start a bedtime routine. A good bedtime routine includes 4-5 quiet activities that are done in the same order and at the same time each night. These activities should not last more than 20-30 minutes total and include an opportunity to have quality parent-child interaction. A few examples of good bedtime routine activities include: pick up toys; wash hands and face; brush teeth; put on pajamas; listen to music; sing a song (avoid energetic dancing); read a book (or two, but avoid developing a habit of ‘one more book’ and increase book reading at other times during the day instead); say prayers; share a good thing that happened during the day; hugs and kisses, etc. Early in infancy, you might develop a mantra like, “good night, I (we) love you, I (we) will see you in the morning” and repeat this every night as the last thing you say to your baby/child. This type of mantra can be helpful if children go on to develop bedtime resistance. Most importantly, allow your baby the opportunity to fall asleep independently to avoid a sleep association with you present. If they fall asleep during the routine then gently wake them so they are drowsy but awake when you leave the room with the comfort of hearing you repeat the mantra as you leave the room.

• DrMonicaOrdway

@jacqui A nightlight should not be disruptive and is a good idea in this situation. Pacifier use is recommended for sleep during the first 12 months so no need to wean at this time.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.