"Ask Me Anything" about Feeding & Sleep with Dr. Monica Ordway

Comments

• About to start sleep training my 6month old because we want to transition out of the zipadee zip. We think having his hands will help him roll and reposition himself better, but now it seems like he just wants to play with his pacifier or do tummy time in his crib. Nervous for the upcoming sleep training. Will he learn not to play? We have an established nighttime routine and nap routine. Thank you!

• Our 5 week old won’t sleep for more than 30 minutes unless she is being held, worn (ergo baby or wrap) or sleeping in bed next to us. How can we get her to increase her sleep time in the bassinet?

• My 2.5 month old wakes up as soon as I put her down for bed. I feed, burp her, put her down and she wakes up as soon as she hits the bassinet. Then repeat feed, burp, sleep. Sometimes this cycle goes on for 3-4 hs. She then sleeps 8 hs straight when she catches profound sleep. How can I put her down for bed ealrier? Thank you!

• My 18 month is having a hard time with bowel movements. She has to push and strain very hard. Is there a food or natural supplement I can give her that will help?

• Hi Dr Ordway

My little 6-7 week old still only sleeps 2-3 hours at a stretch. She’s 80% Brest fed - does that impact the sleep cycle durations? Formula milk is heavier so she can stretch 3 hours, but I want to avoid formula milk and prefer to breast feed. When and how do I get into a routine where I can get her to sleep 5-6 hours? We have all the sleeping kit: Snoo, Moses basket, dockatot etc Any help is much appreciated! Thank you

• Hi Dr Ordway 

My little 6-7 week old still only sleeps 2-3 hours at a stretch. She’s 80% Brest fed - does that impact the sleep cycle durations? Formula milk is heavier so she can stretch 3 hours, but I want to avoid formula milk and prefer to breast feed. When and how do I get into a routine where I can get her to sleep 5-6 hours? We have all the sleeping kit: Snoo, Moses basket, dockatot etc Any help is much appreciated! Thank you

• Hi and thanks for your time! Our ten month old eats at 6-6:30, goes to bed at 7p (start the process) and wakes up every night at 3am for a very small milk snack. We’ve tried to let her “cry it out” and check on her/reassure/give pacifier routinely, but she cries for hours on end until we give in and feed her at 5 or 6am because we tried to set that as the “morning feed time”. After a week of this, we figured she associated crying for hours with getting milk… so we started to feed her right when she wakes up to break that association, then try to eliminate that feeding again. No luck, still cries for hours and no one gets to sleep.

She’s an incredible baby otherwise and completely healthy (90th percentile for weight), sleeping just isn’t working (won’t go to sleep on her own, won’t nap more than 30 minutes, and wakes in the night)

Thank you in advance for any advice you might have!

• no problems to fall asleep but 5 month old is waking at night about 2 times and seems to only be soothed by a breast feeding. He sleeps in our room and we’ll transition him to his own at 6 months. Any tips to remedy this? Sleeps at 7:30- 7:30am. Up at 1:30 and 5:40 and sometimes 3 if it’s a bad night

• Hi

my 6 months old son can’t sleep tight during night. He keeps waking up every 2.5-3 hours and requires a lot of rocking and soothing. Most times we manage to soothe him down without feeding but he’d wake up after 2 hours and cries real hard. Can we still do sleep training? We tried cry it out method and he’d just keep crying.

• My newborn has a hard time falling asleep and staying asleep so we regularly have to hold her and rock her back to sleep. Suddenly, today in the evening (she is almost 2 months now) she started to cry ALOT when we try to hold her and rock her to sleep. We did go for a car ride today and the change happened a few minutes after we got home and took her out of the seat. We did a visual inspection and didn't find any bruises and gently massaged her full body to see if there were any places that would cause her discomfort but found nothing. We we're in an Uber so both of us were watching her during the ride and she was secured and wasn't jossled around. Some places online say that some babies just don't like being held but the change was so sudden that I can't help but be a bit worried. I thought maybe it's a headache or something from motion sickness but when we put her in our basinet with wheels and try rocking her by rolling the bassinet back and forth, she seems fine and able to sleep so it doesn't seem to be a headache since I'm guessing the rocking motion would probably be uncomfortable if it was. We are going to make an appointment with a doctor to be sure but I saw this event and figured I might be able to get an answer here sooner

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.