"Ask Me Anything" about Feeding & Sleep with Dr. Monica Ordway

Comments

• I’m transitioning my kid to sippy cups and whole milk right now (13 months). She is currently still doing a morning and night bottle since she really will only drink an ounce or two out of a sippy cup at a time. At what point do I drop those morning and night bottles and just only give her milk in cups with meals and snacks? I’m just not sure she will get enough fluids without those bottles.

• Hi Dr.,

Our 10 week old has stopped taking bottles for two weeks now and only relies on breastfeeding. We have tried 3-4 different bottles. Also, at night time sometimes the only thing to console him is the nipple, at which he most likely isn’t getting milk and is only for comfort. However, leaving him on the nipple for 1-2+ hours is the only way to sooth him each night. Anything we can do to help with the bedtime feedings and getting back on bottle? Thanks!

• Hi Dr.,

Our 10 week old has stopped taking bottles for two weeks now and only relies on breastfeeding. We have tried 3-4 different bottles. Also, at night time sometimes the only thing to console him is the breast, at which he most likely isn’t getting milk and is only for comfort. However, leaving him on the breast for 1-2+ hours is the only way to sooth him each night. Anything we can do to help with the bedtime feedings and getting back on bottle? Thanks!

• My daughter is turning 8 months old this weekend. She is eating 3 meal of solid food every day. She has a variety of vegetables, fruit, carbohydrates and protein (meat). I would say each serving size is at least 3/4 cup. She is eager to eat and can finish the solid meal quickly. However we struggle to feed her express milk. We have reduced the milk time from 4 to 3 times per day and each time is 5-6 oz but she still have difficulty in finishing the whole bottle. Do we have to reduce the solid food serving size so she can drink more milk?

She is 95%-tile on heights and 70%-tile on weight.

• My 4 week old is taking an hour to go to sleep for naps and at bedtime. By the time he falls asleep he is hungry again from tiring himself out. Is this normal?

• Im a first time twin mom of 5 weeks and am trying to figure out how many ounces i should be feeding! My twin boys are drinking about 150~200ml of formula and breastmilk in between. At nights they get fussy about sleeping so I tend to overfeed them in hopes of putting them to sleep, which works most of the time. But it requires me to feed him the initial amount and keep adding more ml if the babies dont seem to doze off. If i lay them down and they cry, i feed them more. Is this okay to do??

• Daniella
    Daniella Member
    edited December 2021

What can I do so my 17 month son wakes after 5am, he have 1nap at 2pm?

• our 10 day old newborn is swaddled with arms in for sleep in his 4moms bassinet. Sometimes I wake up and notice he has turned his body completely facing the other end just from squirming his body. Is this okay? Anything you recommend?

• Hello, what’s your opinion on starting a baby on purées vs baby led weaning?

• Hi! My son is almost 4 months. He was born two months early, and, while in the NICU, didn’t start bottle feeding until about a month and a half. We haven’t had any issues getting him to eat since he’s been home up until a week ago. He’s eating, just not as much as his doctor said he should to keep gaining weight. He’s been consistently 100-150 mLs short of the 690 mLs per day we were told he should eat. He seems to eat in a pattern. For example, 120mLs, 60mLs, 110mLs, 45mLs and so on throughout the day. Sometimes he seems to spit up a lot as well. Is it possible that his tummy just isn’t big enough to fit all that formula yet and he will work his way up to the higher amounts?

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.