"Ask Me Anything" about Feeding & Sleep with Dr. Monica Ordway

NanitMelanie
NanitMelanie Nanit Team
edited March 9 in Nursing & Feeding

Ask Dr. Monica Ordway, PhD, APRN, PNP-BC, Anything about Feeding & Sleep today through Wednesday, December 22nd.

After receiving her bachelor’s in physics from Fairfield University, Dr. Ordway earned her certificate in nursing and MSN from Yale School of Nursing. Dr. Ordway worked as a pediatric nurse practitioner and lactation consultant at an urban practice for many years before returning to Yale to obtain her PhD. Her dissertation research examined the effects of the Minding the Baby® home visiting intervention on child behaviors 1-3 years after families completed the research program. She subsequently completed a postdoctoral fellowship under joint mentorship from YSN and the Yale School of Medicine (Psychiatry) from 2011-2013. Her postdoctoral fellowship involved working on adapting the Mothering from the Inside Out (MIO) intervention for implementation into a community mental health clinic.

Post your questions below!

*Dr. Ordway will attempt to answer as many questions as possible, but due to volume, she may not be able to answer each question individually. Her responses will be shared throughout the day on Monday, December 27th.

Tagged:

Comments

• I’ve struggled to get my 2-month old to sleep without cluster feeding to sleep around 7pm. She does usually sleep an 8-hr stretch at night, but she only takes 20-30 minute naps during the day. Is that going to form bad habits, or is it okay at this age to lean into what works for them?

• My 5 1/2 month old sometimes refuses his last nap of the day. Any tips? I track wake windows and eye rubbing. He starts to fall asleep then will cry and I spend sometimes an hour trying to get him down and then end up skipping nap time. His first two naps aren’t very long as it is so I know he needs this nap.

• My 2 month old will sleep long stretches overnight in the bassinet but will only contact nap during the day. He wakes soon after I transfer him to the bassinet. Even when swaddled. Any suggestions? Thank you!

• What’s the best way to wean at 12 months? Our baby takes a bottle of formula twice a day and is breast fed morning and night. He seems less and less interested in the formula but I’m not sure how to wean off the breast.

• Hi Dr. Ordway -

I'm concerned about my 10 month old son's milk consumption. I have nursed exclusively but recently I do not feel as though I am producing anymore. I've spoken to 2 LCs about this but I cannot get any guarantee that my son is receiving enough milk daily. I no longer feel my "let down" and I don't see him gulping the way he normally does. I spend so much time trying to nurse - sometimes beyond 45 minutes - and I don't feel convinced he had milk. He has been eating a lot of solids so I think my supply has dipped quite a bit. I have no way of knowing and I'm so worried. What do you recommend?

• Hello! My 6 months old recently started putting up a fight for all of his naps, and even when we put him to bed. It’s a constant struggle to get him to sleep. Is this normal for 6 months? Is there a 6 month regression? He’s right back to needing to be held for naps. Any advice on how to get him to sleep/nap by himself without protesting? Thank you!

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.