When did you transition from in-room to nursery?

Comments

• We waited till 9 months but now wish we had done it sooner.

• Mimi
    Mimi Member

We did at 22 weeks. Best decision for her and for us. Quality of sleep for all of us improved enormously.

• I was shocked Drs said to keep ur baby in your room for so long! But we did so and were likewise anxious. She’s 7M and a good overnight sleeper albeit not more than 9 hours typically. One thing we did that seemed to help is that we only used the bassinet (snoo) for overnight. Naps were in the crib. But once daycare started at 4M she didn’t get a lot of time in the crib at home and barely naps at daycare (also crib). It was more accidental than strategy but she was ill and home from daycare for 4 days recently and so took all the naps in the crib, she naps much longer at homes. I think the combined effect of more familiarity with the crib for her AND us helped. We also made sure she had an evening solid food meal I think that helps. And not intended as a plug for Nanit, but being able to peek in on her and using the breathing wear were peace of mind. Just last night I also noticed she scooted around and found her pacifier (don’t judge 😉) 3 times, soothing herself back to sleep all 3 times. Sorry if that doesn’t help but let’s just say we both needed to ease into crib sleep 😉

• Teri
    Teri Member

My first baby was in the room with us until he was just over a year old. We had transitioned him to his crib probably around 6 or 7 months. I felt so anxious and nervous to move him because I was worried I wouldn’t wake up if he cried or woke up in the middle of the night which was why I waited to move him to his own room until he was sleeping through the night consistently. My second baby was a little different though. Having a Nanit for her crib right away was a huge game changer for me. I knew that if she cried or woke up in the middle of the night I could be sure I’d hear her because I would have the audio from her Nanit on my phone. I still wanted to wait until she was sleeping consistently through the night, meaning I wanted to make sure that if she did wake up she knows how to self-soothe and put herself back to sleep. We were able to transition her to her own room probably around the 6 or 7 month mark. For the first 2 or so weeks she would wake up a couple times a week and wouldn’t self-soothe to go back to sleep, so I would end up going to her, comforting her and nursing her if she wanted, then putting her back down for bed. I wanna say probably sometime around that 3rd week she started sleeping through the night again without waking.

Like others have mentioned, it’s easier to start off slow. Maybe start by having him take his naps in his crib in his own room and sleeping in your room at night and then once he seems to go down for naps in his crib without fuss, try moving him to his own room/crib for bed too. If you don’t already use a white noise, the Hatch Rest has always worked for my 2 babies, and it’s a great soft nightlight too for nights when you have to go into their room, it’s even great for when you’re wanting to gently wake them from an overly long nap :)

Another tip I might recommend…if you use pacifiers, try and place a few extra ones in the crib for him to get to if he wakes up (glow in the dark pacifiers are great for this).

Hope this was helpful. Sorry it was so long >_<

• Our daughter is 12 months and still in our room. We went through 6 years of infertility, 3 rounds of IVF and the loss of our first daughter, so we like knowing she is close by until she is done with breast feeding. We are also following attachment parenting but she sleeps in her own crib.

• AAP recommends room sharing for at least 6mo, ideally a year. It can decrease the risk of SIDS by up to 50%. I won’t be transitioning my baby until 6 months at the earliest. I’m actually intrigued that Nanit is sending me recommendations to transition my 4 month old baby. Where is this recommendation coming from if not from pediatricians?

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

To be clear, our tip suggests transitioning to a full size crib at 4 months, if you haven't done so already, we do not talk about transitioning to a separate room. This recommendation comes from the many sleep and developmental researchers that we collaborate with who undertand the importance of giving your baby the space to move around at night and practice all the things they are learning during the day!

• I moved my LO to his crib at 8 months, but because it was recommended that you wait at LEAST 6months to do so but ideally a year, I am literally sleeping in the nursery with him. Even with the nanit I am just scared to leave him alone, I just wanted him to get used to sleeping in his crib and in his own room, I think the transition of me being there in the new surroundings will be easier than moving him to a new place and on top of it, not being there with him.

• lolomama
    lolomama Unconfirmed, Member

We moved her to her bed at 2 weeks old! She is a loud dinosaur sleeper! She slept better and so did we :)

• Kapel
    Kapel Member
    edited October 2021

We do it at around 9 months old. We sleep better and they sleep better!