Switching to Local Feed

Sometimes when we experience connectivity issues, the camera feed will still work by switching to a "local feed". I'm not sure what that means or under what circumstance that happens. I assume it only works when my device is on the same wireless network (wifi) as Nanit?

Could someone please explain what a local feed is? And if we have connectivity issues, can we manually switch to that? More details would be great. Thanks!

Best Answer

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team
    Accepted Answer

Hi @Jane

A local feed means video is streaming on your local network.

Typically, if you're using your Nanit app and Nanit monitor outside of your home (while you're on LTE, not your WiFI) the video stream is first being sent from the Nanit cam > over your wifi network > to the Router > from the router to your fiber cables > to your ISP > to our servers > then to your app on your phone. You could call this a "non-local feed."

A local feed is the video stream goes from your Nanit camera > over your Wifi > to your router > then sent back over your Wifi > to your phone/Nanit app directly. The advantage of this is there are less steps to get your video feed, and there is less delay.

One thing to note with local video streaming, you need to have your phone connected to the same wifi network as your Nanit camera.

For more tips on improving your Nanit's connectivity, check out this support article here.

Answers

• Is there a way to tell in the app if the traffic is being streamed locally or sent remotely? I'm assuming that the camera does fall back to remote streaming if for some reason local streaming doesn't (or can't) work.

When you say "the same wifi network" do you mean the "same wireless SSID" or the "same IP network". I have multiple SSIDs with different settings all using the same LAN and I *think* streaming is working locally because the latency seems low, but I'd like to be able to tell if this is actually the case.

Reuben (Yes, I'm a Network Engineer so the nuts and bolts interests me)

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@reubenfarrelly Great questions! Yes, the Nanit app does tell the user if they have a local or remote connection. In the upper left-hand corner on the live feed page next to the word "Live" there will be either a pink house or a pink circle. The pink house indicates a local or "home" connection while the pink circle indicates a remote connection.

Also, yes the camera will switch between local and remote control. In order for a local connection, the phone and Nanit camera need to be on the same SSID - wifi network name.

Lastly, Nanit only supports local control (home view) for only two devices at a time. If two devices or more are viewing Nanit on the home network, only the first and second connected devices will be connected locally while the rest will have a remote connection.

Let me know if that helps!

• Brian
    Brian Member

How accurate is the same wireless network statement?

We use different SSIDs at our home. One SSID is both 2.4/5GHz and another SSID under a different name and 2.4GHz only. The latter is more for IOT/smart devices or devices I don't want clogging up the 5GHz space.

The Nanit is on the 5Ghz SSID network and some of the viewing devices are on the different 2.4GHz-only SSID.

The different SSIDs still connect the devices to the same undying subnet and have the same routed paths. They're separated basically only for WiFi spectrum management.

Everything seems to be working, but now I need to go look for the pink house/circle indicator. 🙂

• Brian
    Brian Member

Did some experimenting.

With Nanit on SSID1 (5Ghz) and viewing devices on SSID2 (2.4Ghz) I do get the pink house icon for local viewing connection. That's good news as I don't want to hairpin traffic unnecessarily.

However, it is normal for us to have up to 4 devices viewing at a time (2xiPad and 2xiPhone) at the house during the daytime. At night it is usually one bedside iPad. I do see what appears to be random flips between local and remote connections when all 4 are going, probably due to the limit of 2 mentioned above. I haven't yet pinned down if it seems to flip as the iPhones roam from one UniFi AP to another. The two iPads are in static locations and tend to connect to their nearest AP unless I'm doing maintenance on it.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team

@Brian Yes, the flipping would be because of the number of connections when all 4 are going. Let me know if I can help answer any other questions for you! Looks like you have everything squared away for the time being.

• Brian
    Brian Member

Nothing in particular, but saying the camera and devices must be on "the same WiFi network" is incorrect even if I'm being a bit pedantic. :) Maybe the same home network would be more correct, but I'll take a guess the majority of your customer base doesn't have multiple WiFi networks at home.

• Melanie
    Melanie Nanit Team
    edited July 1

@Jane our Sr. VP of Engineering took a closer look at your question and realized you may have meant that you see the "local view only" banner. This banner appears when the camera loses connection to the cloud - which means that insights will not be collected and there will be no way to see the camera remotely (i.e. no remote stream). However, the camera should still be available locally.

I'm going to private message you with some additional details specific to your camera!

• I've since tested and I can confirm that if the camera is on one SSID and clients are on another, the access is local and does not leave the local network. However this statement assumes that both SSIDs are on the same IP subnet. This would make sense, because the Nanit has no idea and would not care what SSID other client devices are on as long as they are discoverable and reachable.

If however the two different SSIDs are on different IP subnets, then with my limited testing I observed that does not work in that way, and the connection works as remote. This is good network behaviour! It is not the common use case, yet it works well.

One thing I have been super impressed with is the wireless stability of the Nanit, and the ability to stream the local feed. The SSID I have configured on my Nanit on is the 5Ghz band (only) and with a strong signal (WAP is just outside the room) and it is flawless. The performance is second to none.