"Ask Me Anything" about Daylight Savings: Fall Back And Your Baby’s Sleep with Dr. Natalie Barnett

Comments

• Hi. My son is 11 months old, 12 months on the 19th. He is already an early riser at around 5:15. Generally he will roll around and try to re-settle until around 6:00 am. I fear with the time change he will be up at 4:30 now but am not sure I can hold him off for 2 hours without him being super worked up. He goes down between 7-7:30 pm. Do you suggest that I let him fuss and cry until 6:30?

• Our 15 month old is a really good sleeper. Bedtime is around 7:30-8 and she was waking around 8:30am but it has shifted to 7:30-8am these past few days. Now with the time change, I’m worried that she will be up even earlier. We have been pushing bedtime closer to 8, hoping to get her to bed by 8:30-9 on Saturday night before the time change. She only has one nap a day at 2:30, which we will try to extend as well. What else do you recommend we try to make sure the shift goes smoothly? What can we do if it does not work out and she starts waking earlier once the time change happens? Can we just keep her up later until she is back to her normal schedule? Thanks!

• Hello Natalie,

I have a 22 month old daughter who is on 1 nap. My husband or I put her down for bedtime 730pm. She wakes up talking to herself around 600am or 615am laughing and saying momma, Dada then more funny talk. No crying or screaming. Then, back to sleep. We wake her at 700am every morning. We transitioned to 1 nap around 4-6 weeks ago. Sometimes she will cry at 11pm or midnight for 5 minutes. I'm wondering if her wake time of 5 hours is too short. Should I get her up at 630am instead of 700am? I'm worried she will be tired. Now the time change....We really need suggestions! 🤗

Thank you

• I have a 5.5 month old son. He goes to bed around 7:30-8, then wakes up intermittently throughout the night. Will be fully awake at 5:45-6:30. Then his next nap time will be in 2-3 hours. But his nap time varies from 2 hours to 20min. My question is: what do you suggest us to prepare him for daylight savings as well as how should we adjust his nap time to the new clock time

• Hi, our daughter is about 5 to 6 weeks now,

Before two weeks she cluster feeds between 10pm to 4am.

After passing her birth weight we began feeding her more during the day. Which may have shifted her cluster feeding. Where is was pretty random for a week or two but now it's a more like 7pm to 10pm then she sleeps until 6am usually waking exactly once. After 7am she cluster feeds again from 8am to 10am. At this point we have trouble getting her to sleep some days she might not sleep a full hour again until late afternoons or night time. .

How concerned should we be about getting her to sleep during the day time?

Any recommendations if there is any concern?

Additional details we breastfeed and provide pumped milk. She is drinking at least 100ml every hour during her feeding sprints

• Hi Dr Barnett,

We’ve tried adjusting his bedtime an hour later to account for the end of DLS, but he just sleeps less and wakes up at his usual time. Usually from 5:30 to 6:00, which would be 4:30 to 5:00 after DLS ends. Are we supposed to just leave in my he crib for that extended amount of time?

any advise would be helpful thank you.

• Really looking forward to hearing the responses to these questions. Have the same issue as Jeff14834!

• I see I have issues with my 2yo many others have and I am very interested in seeing the responses

• I have a 1 year old, who is a great sleeper. He goes to bed at 7:30 every night and wakes up at 6:30, almost on the dot. However, on Sunday that 6:30 wake up suddenly becomes 5:30. I, like many commenters, am curious about when to get him out of bed- should I wait until 6:30, and just let him cry until then (we did a similar method for sleep training, so not opposed to it. However it is loud!). If he stays up later on some nights (like we are out until 8:30) , he still typically wakes up at 6:30.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Mhlaffer You might find she wakes early for a few days as her body adjusts to the new time. We suggest you TRY to make it to 6.30am if you can, but for many kids this will be a stretch. I'd love you to try to leave her at least for 10-15 mins to see if she will hang out and try to get back to sleep. If she is upset, I'd go get her!

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.