💬"Ask Me Anything" about Daylight Savings: Fall Back And Your Baby’s Sleep with Dr. Natalie Barnett

Comments

• okorshenko85
    okorshenko85 Member
    edited November 2021

I have a question in regards to morning wake ups. What if my kid wakes up at 5:30 and keeps on crying. My instinct says: “Go take our child out of bed.” 😄 should I wait till 6:30 no matter what?

• Hello,

My daughter is 9 month and half. Recently, she starts wake up earlier in the morning like around 5-5:30 (she used to wake up around 6-6:30 am). Her naps are also relatively irregular/shorter than before; now is 1.5-2 hrs total vs 2.5 hrs total a week ago. I wonder if that because she reaches a milestone? She loves to practice standing during playtime as well as in the crib. So how do we adjust with that and now that Day light saving times approaches?

Thank you!

• Hello,

Our 16 month old wakes up between 6-6:30am. During the weekday he has to be up by 6:30am in order to get ready for daycare. Is there any way to get ready for daylight savings when we're on a schedule?

Thank you

• Hi Dr Natalie,

Our 4.5 month old daughter is going through a phase of napping less (amount wise) and now sometimes number wise (3 or 2 instead of 4). We've consistently implemented a routine to address the above and want to be prepared for not only the time change adjustment but also for my return to work which happens this Monday. Any suggestions? She sleeps between 7-8pm and wakes up between 5-630am. Thanks!

• Hello!

My daughter is 6mo. She still takes 3-4 30min naps during the day but I don’t let her take any naps past 5:30pm, so 7pm bedtime isn’t disrupted. I wonder if I should allow her to nap past 5:30pm on the days prior while doing stretching the bedtime by 10min increments each day? Sometimes I have to shift bedtime a little earlier (around 6:40pm) if she woke up from her last nap between 4pm and 4:30pm as she gets too cranky because she’s exhausted.

• Our 16 month old recently dropped his second nap, and is now only napping for an hour and 15 mins instead of 2.5 hours when he was on 2 naps. Given this he’s tired and cranky by 6:15/30 pm and we try to get him into bed before 7, so I’m not sure how to handle the guidance of pushing nap and bedtimes back by 15 mins when he’s already overtired at his usual sleep times. He tends to wake at 6 am whether we put him to bed at 6:45 or 7:15 pm. and naps around 12-1:15/30 though I think he needs to nap longer. Would love any advice about how to handle naps and bedtime this week. Thank you!

• Hi Dr. Barnett! I'm super nervous about daylight savings because our 16-month-old has been waking earlier and earlier lately. Ever since he was sick a month ago, his schedule has been off by about an hour. He wakes between 5-6am most days...some days even 4:45am. We miss the 6:30-7am wake-ups!

We make sure his sleep environment is optimal (black-out curtains, white noise machine, nothing in crib; he falls asleep on his own). Shifting his bedtime later doesn't seem to help him wake later; instead he just sleeps less. Does it really work if we wait to get him at our desired wake time? How many days does this usually take for a child to adjust? He starts calling for mama and dada soon after he wakes, and slowly gets louder and crankier. I usually wait 15 minutes but gets him then if he doesn't go back down...

A typical day right now: 5:30am wake, nap starts 12:15-12:45pm until 2:30-3:15pm at daycare (he naps less at home on weekends), 6:45-7pm in bed.

• Hi Natalie,

How can I move my 3.5 year old boy that seems to be reacting the opposite way to all my attempts? He is extremely sensitive to changes in sleep. I tried to move him 15 minutes every 3 days and it triggered his naps to be longer and as a result his bedtimes later and morning wakes even earlier.

So I tried to address that by caping his nap length to his usual length that works well. And when I woke him up he was in a good mood but that night he couldn’t fall asleep. He was hyper in his bed for good 2 hrs. He only slept for 7h44m that night. That seems to happen every time I cap his nap.

Then I tried to move him by 5 minutes each day. 5 minute later nap and 5 minutes later bedtime. He was shifting nicely for 4 days and then on 5th day he woke up 1.5hrs earlier for the day. When I kept the same nap time as day prior, he shortened his nap to 35 minutes, he woke up hyper from the nap and stayed hyper until bedtime and took 2hrs to fall asleep and his night was only 7h44m long. Then he was up even earlier. When I kept the nap at the same time, he stopped napping. Then he stopped being able to go to bed at night without a 3 hour fight and broken night sleep into 3-4hr chunks. Waking up in the morning before 5am and crying in his sleep as he was waking up.

He has a triple blackout in his bedroom and I haven’t been opening the door to his bedroom until 7:15am this week. Which will be 6:15am next week.

His usual good routine is 6:30am wake up I don’t expose him to light until 7am. Nap at 12:30pm-12:45pm for 1h35m-1h44m. Then bedtime asleep between 8:20-8:30pm.

Are there any solutions to this puzzle?

• Hello! We have a 6.5 month old who is transitioning from a 3 nap to a 2 nap schedule. She currently goes to bed around 6:30pm and wakes around 5:00am. She sleeps great through the night but I’d love for her to wake up closer to 6:30a. I am daunted by trying to accomplish this with DLS coming up. She naps around 9am, 1pm, and 3pm for a total of approximately 2- 2 1/2 hours of day sleep and about 11hrs of night sleep. We’re still trying to figure out 2 naps, but when we do it’s around 9am and 2pm for the naps. Any suggestions with how to navigate this?

• Hello, we have a 15 month old who goes to sleep around 9-9:30 and wakes up between 7-7:30 (10hours) She takes a 1:30-2 hour nap during the day and still wakes up about once every night.

My question is regarding bedtime.

Around 7-730 PM she shows signs of sleepiness, rubbing her eyes, yawning, etc. but fights it for about 2 more hours. I’ve gotten her to sleep around 7:30 pm before but she either slept for 30 minutes and went back to sleep around 11pm OR woke up at 3am and was up for about an hour before she went back to sleep. Ideally i would like her to sleep around 8-8:30pm instead.

I feel like 9-9:30pm is a little late for a 1 year old to go to bed but i’m scared to mess with her bedtime and nap schedule. 😬

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.