Why is Nanit so against breastfeeding to sleep? It’s a CHOICE

I’m so sick of seeing the “teach your baby to fall asleep on their own” tip. I feed my baby to sleep at night because I love the bonding experience and it is calming for me too. He sleeps for 6 hours after I feed him so it’s something that works for us, yet Nanit continually sends the tip to me and my husbands phones that I need to stop this. I’ve tried disabling it but it still reappears. My son can fall asleep on his own just fine, it’s not a crutch for him it’s literally just a preference. My husband now scolds me all the time for letting my son fall asleep when he eats because Nanit tells him I’m not supposed to do this.

Anyone else have a problem with this? There are 2 schools of thought and I recognize that, I just don’t see why Nanit doesn’t respect that a mother might choose to feed to sleep.

Answers

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Eslattery22_ Im sorry you have had trouble opting out of this tip. Here is an article that can help you opt out so that you wont receive this tip again.

All of our tips are based on scientific research findings and developed in collaboration with our academic research partners. All of the research shows that having an older baby fall asleep by themselves at the beginning of the night will help them fall back to sleep when they wake up during the night.

But of course we completely understand that everyone has their own way of doing things and we are not at all suggesting that there is only one way to have your baby sleep. And of course there are lots of babies (like yours!) who can fall back to sleep just fine even if they were fed or helped to sleep in some way.

We want to be there to support you, which is why we give you the option to opt out of tips that may not suit your parenting style or philosophy, or might just not be right for your baby.

• Thank you! I opted out of the tip once and 30 days later it reappeared. I will try it again. I just hope people don’t think there’s only one way to do things. I know what the research says, I also know I work a lot and want to savor any time I can get with my son, especially if it’s helping soothe him to sleep.