Bedtime

Recently our four month old has had a hard time accepting her bedtime. We have had no problems prior with her routine but don’t know why she has started fussing and crying lately.it’s been about 2 weeks now. Regularly, We change her in to her pjs, feed her, read her a book and say prayers. We turn on the shusher and swaddle her and put her down asleep. We aim for lights out at 8pm. These days she falls asleep at the end of her feed so we started reading her the book during her feed. We have abbreviated the sleep routine. But she still cries for about 15 min before she falls asleep. This is creating all sorts of emotional distress for my husband and I as we don’t know what’s wrong with her. We want her to be happy and don’t know if she is undertired or overtired. Please help ;-)

Answers

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@SRLP I know this is tough! She cant tell you what she wants and its heartbreaking not to know!

Take a look at the Nanit 4 month sleep schedule. Id love you to aim for a bedtime between 6-8pm (and I always err on the side of earlier rather than later - its a busy day for a little one!).

At this age, I actually want her awake before bed for at least 2.5 hours.

15 minutes of crying is not terrible, it might just be that it is taking her time to learn how to fall asleep, but I do want to see that crying time cut down down to less than ten minutes consistently.

She might be a baby who always for a few mintues to get to sleep but I dont want it to be more than that.