"Ask Me Anything" about Safe Sleep Environments with Dr. Natalie Barnet

Comments

• My 5 months old son constantly keeps banging his head to the bars of his crib very strongly.

This at times hurts him badly and also disrupts his sleep.

His crib is one of the biggest available in the market .

We tried placing bumpers around his mattress (we are scared he could suffocate) and crib wall.

Please let me know if you have any tips for my issue, this would be of much help to us.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD
    Natalie_Barnett_PhD Member, Nanit Team, Expert

@Bertonazzi1211 Here in the US we typically recommend a room temperature around 70-72 deg F. At the temperature your baby just needs footed PJs. You might add a sleeping bag if needed. Ideally humidity around 30%-60% is great, but dont go too crazy over it. If the room is particularly dry you can have the humidifier going all night.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

You dont need to teach her to sleep on her bely @Liuba87 . You will always put her down to sleep on her back but if she is capable of getting herself to her tummy of side, its fine for her to sleep there in either position.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

@joss There are lots of reasons she might reject it but I wouldnt be too worried. It sounds like a great opportunity to have her learn to self soothe! I would focus on putting her in the crib drowsy but awake and give her the chance to fall asleep. That might mean some rockng and patting and picking up and putting down or it might mean giving her the chance to fall asleep without you in the room. Either way, the most important thing to do is have her fall asleep at the beginning of the night in the crib. When she can do that, the middle of the night wakings will dissipate as she works out how to get herself back to sleep more easily.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

@Laurajeanharvey This is frustrating, I know! Its REALLY normal for sleep to be disrupted when babies are reaching their motor milestones. In fact, we are working on several research projects with our academic collaborators to study and understand this a little more! This sleep interference should resolve itself in a week or two as he masters this new skill. One thing to do during the day is have him practice pullng to stand and getting down again - you can do that by putting an interesting toy on the couch or coffee table (wherever he is pulling up to) and then put a toy on the ground so that he works out how to get himself down from the standing position. Its super exciting for him to have this new ability and its really logical that he wants to practice this at night! Lets get him practicing how to get down from a standing position and this should help him get down from that position at night.

Give him some time, this milestone will be behind him soon and his sleep should get back to normal!

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

@seskenasy The AAP recommends keeping loveys out of the crib for the first year. Id suggest waiting a few more months before introducing one.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

@ajd5095 You can message me directly and send me a screenshot of the live view of your camera and I will give you some suggestions!

Natalie

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

@Vic I would leave the humidifier on the floor at least three feet from the crib. You do not want the air blowing directly on the baby. Its fine to have it on all night but not usually necessary.

• Natalie_Barnett_PhD

@Bmxer979 I actually really like the breathable mesh bumpers. To me, they are no different to the mesh of the pack and play and are a great way to stop those little legs getting stuck! I would never recommend thick foam bumbers of course but the very thin mesh liners are a good option for those babies on the move who are likely to get stuck!

• Hi! Thank you for doing this. My 11 weeks old baby seems to hate sleeping in his back, sometimes is related to reflux, we got him a 4-12-16 degree wedge pillow to help him but it sometimes work and sometimes doesn’t. We are finishing the newborn stage and moving to sleep training and so but not sure how to do any of it if the baby does not like to sleep on his back. Any ideas? Also, what’s your opinion on wedges? He slides down of them while he wiggles.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.