"Ask Me Anything" about Safe Sleep Environments with Dr. Natalie Barnet

Comments

• Tips on how to to help a 7.5 month old that has developed separation anxiety? It’s not primarily a fear or strangers (baby is still very outgoing), but will sometimes wake crying and stare at the door within 10 minutes of falling asleep. We nurse right before a short bedtime story read by the non-lactating parent. Baby was sleep was trained at 4 months and falls asleep independently. We recently attempted a sleep training “reset.”

• can I use essential oils in my diffuser with my newborn in the same room while baby is sleeping?

• Our 3-month old is now rolling over. We now swaddle arms out. What are the best tips to put baby to sleep for naps and bedtime?

• Our baby is addicted to sleeping on a swing. She is 7 weeks. Will this stage be outgrown, so I can let her still use the swing for now? It’s a savior!!!

• Is it okay for baby to sleep with lovies yet at 6 months?

• Tips to help with early wakings? Our son wakes at 5 am every morning, despite moving bedtime earlier, later, feeding more during the day, etc. Only change has been stopping daycare and our son now takes 2 consistent naps per day (3-3.5 hours total), versus almost no naps at all at daycare!

• What do you recommend as the most effective approach in preventing SIDS? I’ve read that keeping your room temperature around 72 degrees Fahrenheit, having the bassinet in the same room as the parents and no blankets or items inside, having baby sleep on back and keeping a ceiling fan all help in the prevention of SIDS but is there anything else first time parents can do?

• is co sleeping okay as long as safety measures are taken?

• Connecting sleep cycles if they can’t put themselves back to sleep independently yet. Our daughter (5 months) is taking roughly/only 30 minute naps if we don’t intervene to extend it.

This thread has been closed. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open thread or starting a new one.